Author Topic: What. I leave UO for 9 years and you do this?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline PhoenixTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Phoenix has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
What. I leave UO for 9 years and you do this?
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
I tell ya,

I've WoWed, quit and WoWed again, and I've EVEed and I've WoWed some more, and I've WARed and WoWed again, but nothing really compares to planting my very own house in that awesome spot by that bridge, beating out all those others competing for that spot.  Then came the vendors, and finally becoming financially independent selling reagents.  

Ah, UO, you'll always be my first.

To think how hard it was to get good ol' Mr. Reluctant, TrailMyx himself, to play back then.  I'll say, what, 9-10 years ago?  Ah, good times.  And now I see he never left.  What courage!  What dedication!  What...what the hell man?!  

But as I look around SUO, I can see you've found your place among the scripting elite.  Heck, you ARE the scripting elite!  

Makes a UO pappa proud.  :'(

(edit) Oops, sorry, um... 36, 26, 36

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:42:55 AM by Phoenix »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: What. I leave UO for 9 years and you do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »
Yes, Phoenix is one of the two people who got me hooked on UO and a personal friend here in the SD area.  Heck, I even went to his wedding (IRL, not in-game, lol).  We all started back in the days where there was no trammel, packed servers, tents everywhere.  It was a wild west back then.  Being a natural trammie, I didn't leave the city much just because of all the heavy crossbow wielding PKs that lurked out in the wilderness (anyone remember the crossroads?)

Yeh, that house you placed by the shrine and bridge was supersweet.  It's probably vacant these days unfortunately.  And yes, I did kinda roll my eyes at the prospect of a multi-player game like UO.  Thankfully, I was swayed.

Anyhow, good to see you stopping by here.  We're trying to keep a dying game resuscitated.

I need to start another website so I can talk about Brownghost!  lol.  Another story.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »
oh yeah.. I remember the Cross Roads.. you TM you said that you used to play Napa Valley in the beginning, we probably bumped heads at least once before you jumped shards. :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
Yeh, that's where we all started, Phoenix included.  Man, I still can't remember how busy it was at the Vesper bank.  I remember when there was lots of people even around the Magincia bank. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
I can remember almost every bank being busy as hell...but...being able to walk around in the country and not see a house for 20-30 screens at a time. Hell, trying to come up with the 12k to buy a small house back then seemed unreachable!

I remember being proud as hell at finally having the 3k needed to buy a boat!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
oh man.. you had to fight for a week if you wanted a boat!
what about affording that Valorite Plate Armor? just to loose it the second you walked outside of town.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
Took me about a year of playing before I could ever afford a Tower...and there were still TONS of spots for a tower even after a year. Best of all it was a "secure tower"...because as we all remember...thiefs could get your key, then your house was worthless. But...I had a tower with 3 tents guarding the entrance :) A nice secure recall spot...

Then I found the best bug ever for training back then. I could go out, and taunt a healer...cast a gate to the courtyard behind the tents, and run in the tower. It didnt take long til you had 10 healers trapped in the courtyard. I managed to train up MR on 3 different chars in a matter of a couple weeks. BUT, the BEST part was back then..the whole time you kept the healer trapped, he kept making scrolls and storing them on himself, so after a week or so if you killed the healer he had like 3K scrolls on his corpse. I made more gold in 2 months trapping and killing healers then I made in the whole year before! LOL
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline PhoenixTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Phoenix has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »
LOL.  Napa Valley.  That's right.  My earliest recollection was chopping wood for wooden shields to sell, getting ganked and having to start chopping all over with the starter axe.  Now that you remind me, I think I can recall people trapping/hording sheep as well.  What an exploit-rich environment that was.

True to form, TM quickly had his tower and was blowing us all away with his devotion to the art of gaming.

PS - Don't ever play against him in Unreal Tournament.  Or Duke Nukem.

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
PS - Don't ever play against him in Unreal Tournament.  Or Duke Nukem.

haha

I need to find me some ppl to help me get better in call of duty on xbox!  I'm terrible at it :*(  I duno if I'll ever get good, or maybe I just need some pointers :P  I used to be good at battlefield & UT though on the PC.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Now that you remind me, I think I can recall people trapping/hording sheep as well.  What an exploit-rich environment that was.

I remember having 30 or more sheep stuffed into a room in my 2-story where we would shear them to gather the wool to make cloth for bandages and bolts to sell.

PS - Don't ever play against him in Unreal Tournament.  Or Duke Nukem.

Nobody would ever play me Descent II either for some reason.  Muhahah.  However, Phoenix got kinda even with Starcraft.  I didn't even realize one could wear their ass like a nice summer hat!  Spiffy!

First time I ever met Phoenix was because of a Duke Nukem 3d "Throw Down".  We heard there was some HOT players in IT, so we challenged the dynamic IT duo to a good'ol fashioned Duke-Off.  The Engineering Team prevailed in probably the most lopsided mass destruction every witnessed in all Duke-dome!  But after that, good friends were found and lots of time was wasted during lunch and after work playing that wonderful game.  Duke is still one of my all time favorites.  Unreal Tournament just took that to a whole new level and still hasn't been matched for shear speed an playability after all these years.  Now if we can get Skidmark back to rebutt this and give a reason for his poor Duke performance!  Alas, everyone is lost in WoW.

Everyone made their UO combacks, but nobody but me stayed to see the ship sink.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:44:41 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
Only reason i ever made it past those infernal crossRoads was becuase i was on a T1 line (big deal back then) and could out run a horse on foot.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline mcscooter

• Activity:
    0%
  • mcscooter has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »
Remember having to hide your chests behind a row of tables, and unlocking one of them whenever you wanted to get access?

Tags: