Author Topic: Script Protecting by Password.  (Read 19713 times)

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Script Protecting by Password.
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:40:22 PM »
i was just thinking.  Is there a way you think you could protect SUO scripts?  Say you make a script a certain way and you want it to be protected by password etc..  So that the person can't highlight all and right click it per say.  Not saying that no one should be able to steal other people's codes or anything, but just wondering.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Script Protecting by Password.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:03:36 PM »
I actually decided NOT to do anything like that.  Reason being that people could really exploit the unsuspecting script runner that way.  So anything in SUO will be open and text based.  I've actually refrained from using code-folding just due to it's ability to "hide" information.  I'll probably end up adding folding in only when I can be sure it won't be exploited.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
that is why i was thinking if we could do it with SUO accepted scripts.  I've also thought about databases and whether you could make a program like SUO that  has that database that automatically uploads new scripts(posted in a certain area) into the program and so you have a menu button the you can click that has a list like healing bard etc which then brings to you to a choice of a script by Snow or C2 with instructions that will automatically run with no actual showing of the script.  Just curious on that thought too.  Sorry was a boring day at work :)
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline uocode_man

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • uocode_man has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
i was just thinking.  Is there a way you think you could protect SUO scripts?  Say you make a script a certain way and you want it to be protected by password etc..  So that the person can't highlight all and right click it per say.  Not saying that no one should be able to steal other people's codes or anything, but just wondering.

I like that idea. being able to protect them with a password. quite nice indeed

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:22:45 AM »
That is an interesting idea.  though I fear it would be exploited to no end.  Maybe an Elite SUO feature in the future?

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:48:02 AM »
With as much as TM is putting into SUO, I'm sure there's going to be one version. But with the purpose, I like security, or do not use my script without permession (password to access code) but as TM stated, there are exploiters. Who exploit peoples trust, will give them a script, that will drop their stuff or something. I also want to make sure that the script isn't calling any commands on my computer, or any websites, so, I want to be able to look at the code. Also, scripts that load up with little to no set up? With instructions popping up, well, that's kind of, difficult. You would then have to put in other commands and a big documentary in the script itself, well, not too big. Usually instructions are in the thread posted or in the header of the script. Comments in code are meant to be read.

I get that you want to speed up the execution, hide the script. But this is more than buyer beware, it's scripter, know what you are about to run. Who knows, maybe in the middle of the script while gold farming, it calls the GM on you for using a script?

Know the code you're running, if you do not know anything about scripting, you are still a bit computer savvy for playing the game, finding the site, finding EUO, finding the scripts. It doesn't take long to do some ctrl + F (finds) to look for certain commands or phrases, or just words. Always try to run a script for the first time with noone around.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »
The only way to make this work is to take the script out of the scripters hands and locate it in a central location.  I've heard that the original verion of Winuo could work that way.  So the scripter just "dials up" the place where the script is hosted, download a protected copy (binary, compressed, encrypted) and can run it knowing the source to be reputable.  There's no real possibility of editing the local copy, but due to reputation you can rely on it working.  You'll never find a drop script written by TM (I only strip Cerveza nekkid), however you might not want to connect up to a site called "Dropz-yr_Warez".
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Quagmire

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Quagmire has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
Only thing you could really do is like compile it with suo so runs on its own exe. which would be nice this prevents people from moding it, taking code and what not, but this feature has to be on approved scripts. There is no true way to get around exploiters and *bleep*. Just be careful and look over it, if you don't write your own. Recently i had to teach some Itemdropper kids that think they know what EUO and SUO are what EUo and SUO could really do. Put it this way made a simple call to a script that drops all items of the bank and char in trash can and screams dirty words..

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:12:16 AM »
Well if ran by a reputable host, being TM or Freddy i think this would work.  Because in order for it to get to a "updatable" place it would take their input.  Everytime you load it, it checks the server to see if there is a new file, if so then it downloads.  Even for SUO as it is.  If you didn't have to come to the site to check on an update everytime, instead the program automatically checks for you and replaces as needed would be nice.  I know that is alot of work TM.  Just looking at it from user side rather than creator side.  These are just things that might bring more of a base to SUO rather than EUO.

Also question on the SUO.  Does it need to be updated every time that UO Updates?

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
I think it will probably require an update once the run functionality is added back in but for the development aspect it shouldn't.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »

Also question on the SUO.  Does it need to be updated every time that UO Updates?

Yes, it will require the same kind of updates as EUO.  Memory locations change, so that'll require a revision.  I've thought about making this a patch, but I'm not sure I want to write the security code for making a patch server possible, while maintaining my own IP.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »
Yeah a patch would really rock but the security aspect would suck especially if you aren't using an off-site server to hold that information.  If you had a third party off site server to handle that and you just dealt with the file system on the server that would work but otherwise I would think it just becomes too much of a hassle.

Offline rana70

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:07:32 AM »
I am sorry but I don't thing that this pretect by password is really a good idea.

Mostly it might be used to hide the fact that you stole a part of "your" script
from anyone else...

How ever ... I prefer to look thru scripts maybe to learn how other people
do something .. to see what it really does .. to tweak timing eg.....

When I use subs I give credit in the header .. and if someone
things one of my subs is usefull for hin/her .. it's ok for me...

so why spend any time on this kind of feature ...

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »
I am sorry but I don't thing that this pretect by password is really a good idea.

from anyone else...

I couldn't agree more.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »

from anyone else...

I also agree totally, I personally love to find out that people thought that my scripting was good enough to utilize parts of it in their own scripts and such.  I did say above that it would be an interesting feature and it definitally would but I think that there are just entirely too many people out there that would abuse it and exploit it.  It is unfortunate that is somethign we need to worry about :(

Tags: