Author Topic: Script Protecting by Password.  (Read 19705 times)

Offline xiaoyu

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • xiaoyu has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Script Protecting by Password.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
The issue about script password protection have been talking on lot of script sites. In my opinion, the scripts we are writting here is like kind of software production, they spend time, energy and "brain" of the creaters, so the copyright should be protected. but all the scripts are for UO game, not for any commercial action, basicly we write script is just for fun, (at lease I do), so the password protection is not necessary. we just follow the rule which is always mark the reference of the script or part of script from others.

Freddy

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »
I've been working with script protection a lot in the last few weeks with a program of mine. An easy way to solve this without requiring a lot of program modification is to add an encryption method. Maybe allow the user to export as encrypted and they can choose a passphrase to decrypt. Saves the script in encrypted form in a text file and it solves the problem of having to create your own file container. Add a bit of code to detect if it is encrypted and ask the user for the passphrase upon load.

:D

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:38 PM »
True, but that goes back to the point where you want to have a script repo that's deemed "safe".  What you are working on is a good example of how a passkey could work.  However, any JoBlow having an encoded script is bad medicine unless it's vetted harmless and maintained by a reputable source.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:32:33 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Freddy

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »
Encryption shouldn't carry a negative connotation :D

I guess I should have explained myself more in my previous post.

You could export script as encrypted with a passphrase of your choice. In order for someone to run that script they must know the password. When the program loads the encrypted script it will ask the user for the password. If the password is correct, the program will spit the decrypted script into the text box like it would any other script. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:52:43 AM »
Well that's not really secure, just an annoyance really.  Since there's no public/private key arrangement and since anyone can "know" the password, then you aren't actually providing much security.  The only way to secure the script to be run by those who are "authorized" is to exchange private key information with a central database.  For what you suggest, it's much less work and you get compression out if it by zipping the script with a password.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:25:13 AM »
Soon winuo will have something close to this feature.  So if anyone is interested keep a look out there.  Freddy has been doing a great job on it.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »
Soon winuo will have something close to this feature.  So if anyone is interested keep a look out there.  Freddy has been doing a great job on it.

Yes, that's what's exciting about freddy's work.  Since he'll be able to control the keys on both ends, then you can start talking security.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 06:53:56 AM »
Slightly OT, but if anyone is looking to gain a good/fast working understanding of cryptography in this computer age, I highly recommend the book "Applied Crypography" by Bruce Schneier.  It's simply the best book I found so far and really aided me in the work I can't tell anyone here about.... ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: