Author Topic: Stygian Abyss is still on! Wewp!  (Read 8895 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Stygian Abyss is still on! Wewp!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
I love my KR. :'( and I was there for the UO Beta way back when so I played the 2d client since 97'.  I don't like the constant crashes though that must be from the memory leaks you mentioned... I didn't know that it's sucking my RAM. Does EA know this?

Should post what you said on stratics see if they listen. And your right they should play their own game.

Unfortunately Titan Quest (Iron Lore) went out of business and aren't doing anymore sequels. Crazy how these big companies that put out games that have alot of success go out of business. I remember the 3DO makers of Might and Magic went under too. Craziness...

I guess more than anything I just don't want to see UO go away and hope that they will continue to keep it up to the current level of technology out there. I'd still like to be running around in Sosaria for many years to come plus it would be nice to see it return to a somewhat more popular game that it is now.

I'll stay optimistic about SA client. But history would have me hope for the best and be ready for the worst.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
I love my KR. :'( and I was there for the UO Beta way back when so I played the 2d client since 97'.  I don't like the constant crashes though that must be from the memory leaks you mentioned... I didn't know that it's sucking my RAM. Does EA know this?

Yes, they know.  It's actually much better then when they first introduced KR.  I've patched up every time they've released new code, and it has steadily gotten better.  However, after this long I would have thought it would be completely gone or at least so slow that it's not perceptible. 

I hate bashing KR.  I was so excited when I first heard about it.  Remember the days when you could stand outside the Vesper or Magincia banks to see it teaming with people?  I really miss those days.  It's going to take a pretty serious bump in the visual technology to sway some people away from the other games that presently have them enamored.  However when we were presented with KR (after WoW, LOTR, etc) I just couldn't understand what they were thinking.  The previews swere so-so, but I thought it was still Beta and I should wait.  Well, we went from beta to release and there's nothing really new and exciting about the graphical presentation when there are so many other possibilities out there (like Titan Quest for example).  At this point, I long for the possibility to have graphics on par with the original Diablo.  Those are cutting edge compared to even KR.

For me, it's just one disappointment after another.  UO2, UOX, UO3D all unsuccessful attempts at extending this franchise.  Now we're left with KR, and "it needs to be fixed".  I'm not sure how you can fix something that was so poorly implemented to begin with.  There's a good basis from the 3D engine they chose, but man what the heck happened with the implementation?

Really, I do hate bashing KR....   :'(

There's a bunch with the KR client that I think has real promise.  I love the tool bars, and the macros system is a step in the right direction.  I just wish it was a bit more flexible.  Also, I'm glad they are allowing for a custom look/feel of the client.  I just hope they'll open it up as much as WoW did.  There are some tremendous UI modifications/enhancements for WoW.

Anyhow, I remember 3DO.  I think what put them out of business finally was their foray into console hardware.  At that point, they had some cutting edge stuff, but ultimately the big boys put'em out of business.  Don't feel too bad for them since even the giants like Sega finally couldn't stand the competition and decided (rightly so) to utilize other hardware and just make software.  3DO just didn't have the established named franchises (Sonic,etc)

But please stay optimistic.  As you can tell, I've lost all hope; my optimism jar is empty.....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:37:00 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
I dont care much for the eye candy. I just want a castle that doesnt cost 200mil, and nice game features where I can be a loner and take on almost anything with right skill/items

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »
I dont care much for the eye candy. I just want a castle that doesnt cost 200mil, and nice game features where I can be a loner and take on almost anything with right skill/items

Yeah but then you have those people who believe that just because it is a MMORPG that there should be a certian level of REQUIRED participation with other players.  Look at all the people bashing wammys/sampires cause they can solo something that they "think" they shouldn't be able to.

For the most part I like to play solo.  When it comes to pvp of course I have my guild & friends.  No reason I shouldn't be able to hunt high end bosses/creatures solo to an extent.  It's not like I'm going to "win" the game without ever speaking or interacting to another player haha.

Tags: