Author Topic: Metrix  (Read 2425 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Metrix
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »
So I was thinking about this....

The Tier 1 guys get called about troubles. They open a ticket and work on the circuit. When they get to a point that they can no longer move forward in the isolation of the issues they turn it over to Tier 2.

The problem: They spend countless hours working on this thing then they give it to me. I fix it in 30 minutes and send it back to them for closure. When management sees that they are spending ALL those hours on stuff and my group spends so little time on the same thing, they say "wow, Tier 1 needs more people, and Tier 2 doesn't seem to spend any time at all on these outages".

So their failures insure they get manning, and our successes insure we will be first on the chopping block.

Bottom line - management is stupid.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.6%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Metrix
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
Next time take a week

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
The whole point of being Tier 2 is being able to quickly resolve complicated outages.

That's kinda what management doesn't see...
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »
Amen. Cerveza. I am in a very similar boat. WE have the flunkies that are similar to level 1 or tier 1 and they spends hours and days sometimes working on an item. Then when we get called the tier 2 or elites we spend 5 mins to a few hours repairing what they messed up and then a few mins to actually fix the original problem. The elites get payed more because they know we can do it but alot less of us like 10 to 1, but because we have more expierence and can finish it in a 10th of the time they think we either do not do anything or have way to much free time so they have doubled up on our jobs and work loads!!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
This happens when managers have no experience managing the things they are managing. You can't teach management in college, you learn to be a good manager by busting your ass. Unfortunately, if you bust your ass you're too important of a resource to lose so it's the idiot that gets the promotion rather than the smart guy.

Keep doing what you're doing, don't give in to the idiotness of cubicleville.

BTW, I'm considered like 4th-tier support. On paper, you don't get to talk to me unless it's been shown that nobody else can fix the issue. We have a total of roughly 240 staff in our IT department including developers, etc with more than half in the support/implementation side of the house. I'm part of a department of 3 people. This means that, on paper, the only stuff we three see is the stuff that has stumped over ten-dozen highly paid IT "experts". Somehow though I could easily work 80-hour weeks and never make a dent in my workload. I have personally facilitated closing tickets within 15 minutes that have been open literally for WEEKS countless times. Guess who will never be promoted to a manger.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
Well by my count the three above :)

Scrripty

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Or how about not being IN "IT" and getting called at home at all hours to fix things because IT can't, and they know I can...  :)  And being asked all the time why I'm not working in computers...  I sent them a bill for 2 hours at 100 an hour.  They didn't laugh. But I haven't received anymore phone calls at home lately. :)

Tags: