Author Topic: Crafting testing and learning with Reforging and Imbuing - a cheapskates perspec  (Read 15172 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Well after burning a few spined kits to get the feel for things I'm starting to understand how this plays with Imbuing and how Enhancing still plays a roll and why I might want to sparingly use a Forged Metal too, etc.

Using just the Spined kits I was able to make some pretty nice pieces and avoid using any high-end imbuing ingredients at all (not counting the 4 relic frags per piece for 7 LMC but I don't consider this high-end since I easily farm that many in Shame or Wrong in about ten minutes or less). I didn't have a Forged Metal tool so I destroyed tons of stuff with my enhancement attempts but overall my luck wasn't too bad. I also didn't PoF anything up first since I was just playing around and didn't want to destroy PoF'd armor on enhancement. I was also pretty conservative with the low-end ingredients.

My goal was to build a basic, leather armor, "throw-away" suit for my still training Sampire. Throw-away because I wasn't PoF'ng or using high-level ingredients until I figured out the most efficient ways to use them with reforging. My process was basically something along the lines of:

1) First I created a spreadsheet to work on the suit build. I know, may seem obsessive but it helped immensely!
2) Figured out what non-crafted items I would be using and added all properties to the spreadsheet. This gave me the remaining resists, etc required so I could best figure out how to map out the pieces.
3) I created some exceptional leather armor pieces and started putting together items that fit the resist requirements while attempting to minimize my resist imbue requirements
4) Because I was building a suit to be in Vamp form my Fire was roughly -6 without the use of 4 armor pieces so I knew that Fire was going to be a resist Imbue on most of the pieces (this was before I played with reforging since I had no runic tailor kits). Poison was my next lowest but I knew I wouldn't need to Imbue poison on all the pieces.
5) Imbued Fire on a piece, then enhanced with Barbed to get the most resists that I could. I learned that with this method you don't need to max out the Imbue and use Boura pelts (or whatever) but the enhance would still max out the resist, e.g. imbued 17 Fire then the Enhance brought it up to the Cap of 19.
6) After all this I ended up at a place where I needed just sleeves but the resists needed to be something like 6/19/8/19/5. I didn't want to burn 2 imbues on resists so I broke down and bought a 10-pack of Spined Kits.

At this point I was focused 100% on making sleeves via the reforging process that would finish off my suit, learning more about armor reforging in the process.

I figured out a couple things, maybe not all true :)

1) There doesn't seem to be a reason to use Structural or Fundamental. I suppose if I were making training suits or something where the Brittle and no repair didn't matter I would explore these but I figured Shame loot has this stuff covered already.
2) If you want to overcap a resist, don't choose 2 names - only choose 1. This seemed to bring up the intensity of the resist dramatically and there were no other crap mod's wasting Imbuing slots. With this in mind it becomes nothing more than making exc leather sleeves and reforging until I got the high Fire I was looking for. I was getting mostly 20+ in either Cold or Energy for whatever reason, I even got one piece with 19 Energy and 23 Cold. Finally I hit 24 Fire on a piece and decided this was the one.
3) It may be possible to craft a piece with Spined that hits a high-end cap - for example, 150 luck instead of 100, but apparently don't count on it.
4) Unlike Imbuing, it seems that the reforge-generated resist DOES NOT work against the enhancing cap! I ended up enhancing this piece with Barbed (and with my eyes closed I might add since I must have lost 20+ sleeves through this whole process (I know not that many really but I'm still playing low-end here so it was frustrating)) and wound up with 27 Fire! I don't recall which now but I also ended up with another resist at 19 so at Imbue time I ended up with two Imbue slots burned. However, I had unimbued sleeves with the neighborhood of 75 total resists! Not too shabby with a Spined kit.

At this point I Imbued LMC/Mana/Regen on all the pieces and newly armed with my test suit that cost me nothing that I didn't already have from training Imbuing and unwravelling Shame loot (and the $1 worth of IRL cash for the Spined Kits I burned).

The next suit will start with Reforging the leather pieces instead to get the resist caps that I want. I think I'm getting it now...

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Something that I do but most do not and am not sure why. I am also Reforging HCI and DCI on my suit. This is just my thing but it seems to leave jewelry for other things on my sampire. I get around 4 ~ 5 HCI and 4 ~ 5 DCI on each piece of my leather armor. Then I will stack LMC on each piece and bump up one resist on each piece also. Then I try to also stack elemental eater on a few pieces of my armor which works really nice when you need that extra health bump in battle.

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Started playing around with the pieces for my mage suit this morning. Didn't have much time but managed to hit a couple decent mods. Out of 8 total pieces I made two with only one Mod but I didn't pay enough attention to which of the items I got two Mod's on even though I only picked one name.

My favorite two pieces:

Sleeves - 25LRC, 1 HP Regen (MR would have been better but not complaining since this is just another "throw-away" suit)
Gloves - 20LRC, and 45 resists (5/9/6/15/10)

Again, this was with a Spined runic kit!!! Definitely pleased with the results. I only burned a total of 34 charges of one runic on all the items I made this morning.

So low-end reforging is definitely a good way to get Imbue cap Mods without spending the ingredients or making the piece un PoF-able with the added potential for getting over-cap Mods including resists that don't count agains the Enhancement caps!

I'll do my testing with mid and high level runics on the test shard hehe.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Posting so i remember where to post my findings later :)
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Tags: