Author Topic: Windows 8.1 UO Unplayable?!  (Read 7772 times)

Offline CasanovaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Casanova has no influence.
  • Marine. MMA Champion. Nerd.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Windows 8.1 UO Unplayable?!
« on: December 25, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
Merrry Christmas Everyone!

So I got myself a ASUS ROG which can be seen here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232202

Now here I am on my spiffy new machine and I can't get UO to work... It opens and I can login but when I try moving it's two steps then freeze. Two steps, freeze. Unplayable :-(

I've uninstalled and re-installed. Updated all my drivers and I can't figure it out. About to be back to the 2010 Core I5.

Any suggestions?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Windows 8.1 UO Unplayable?!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Have you tried the usual suspects like run as admininstrator, and run in a compatibility mode for something other than Windows Ick?
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
Have you tried the usual suspects like run as admininstrator, and run in a compatibility mode for something other than Windows Ick?

Yea. Run as admin, run compatibility win7, vista etc... Nothing.

Wife's like why doesn't it work isn't this like a good laptop?... I'm like well the game is from 1997.

I "googled" all morning and only thing I found was someone with a similar issue and it was their sound card but mine's saying everything is "up to date".

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
I don't think I even have UO running on my 8.1 box.  It's been collecting dust right after I barfed on it from 8.1 "ick" effect.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
I don't think I even have UO running on my 8.1 box.  It's been collecting dust right after I barfed on it from 8.1 "ick" effect.  :)

Yea I think I'm just going to return the laptop tbh... $1,500.00 and can't play the only game I want it to...

Thanks for checking in on this though and happy holidays!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
Weird. I have a differnet laptop but also an ROG Asus, similar specs. windows 8.1 Runs just fine.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
Weird. I have a differnet laptop but also an ROG Asus, similar specs. windows 8.1 Runs just fine.

I feel like it's some driver or setting that I just don't know how/or what to adjust... I'm a simple guy haha.

The machine itself is something to behold!!!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
I am running win 8.1 and have no problems at all. Choppy and laggy sounds like video card or internet card issues.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
I am running win 8.1 and have no problems at all. Choppy and laggy sounds like video card or internet card issues.

Thats true.  Have you tried to disable all your firewall and virus stuff temporarily?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 01:31:56 AM »
Using Windowsa 8.1 as well works fine :)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »

Thats true.  Have you tried to disable all your firewall and virus stuff temporarily?

Gentlemen, the problem has been resolved! McCaffe firewall wasn't about me playing Ultima Online. I uninstalled it and gave it permission through windows firewall and tadaaa just like that!!!

Thank you all for stopping in to offer assistance  ;D

Best UO community I've ever been a part of!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
That's great, Cass!  I'm still a firm believer that the anti-virus companies are the ones writing the viruses.  Nothing like a self-fulfilling prophecy or a self-milking cow to build a business model after!

MOO!!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline cybercasper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
hehe thats a great labtop i bought the same labtop i think it is pretty awesome let me know what u think about it and if u find any bugs with it

Tags: