Author Topic: european power and us power and other electrical crap  (Read 2275 times)

Offline luv2luvlongTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
european power and us power and other electrical crap
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
Real basic explanation

In europe the standard voltage is 240v at 50 hertz. This means that one line of the outlet is 240v give or take a few volts depending on were the line is tapped at the transformer and how far the outlet is from the xfrmr.  There is also a neutral (sometimes called a return line) plus a ground line to allow free electons to return to the earth, where they really want to be. A step down xfrmr is used to take this 240v single line down to us voltage of 110v. But it dosen't do anything to the frequency (hertz) of the current in the line which is why US motors run slower in europe. washing machines, blenders, etc.

In the US we use 110v at 60 hz. This means that one line of an an outlet is 110v plus or minus a few volts for the same reasons as above.

In a US 220v plug there are 2 lines that carry 110v (not really but close enough)when you add them together you actually get about 208v (because of a crossover point). which is why there are 2 breakers in your electrical panel for a 220v outlet.

depending on how many prongs there are on the 220v outlet determines how easy or dangerous it is to convert that outlet to 2 110v circuits.
if there are 4 prongs it is super easy.
if there are 3 it is a little more dangerous. :D

While i  am not going to go into detail here, if you really need to do this let me know and I will try to talk you through the process.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: european power and us power and other electrical crap
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »
If i need 2 110s i just run 2 new wires from the fuse box.. as long as you have a whole house cutoff switch its dead safe.. if not it maybe just be a dead issue.

Running electronics in US-EU and vis versa used to be a real pain in the backside.. due to globilisation (ie being made in china) most electronics now come with universal power adaptors beging able to take in either 110 or 240  it just a matter of getting a plug adaptor that can be had for extremely cheap if you really look ($1-5).

Now i have some older EU stuff that just plain wont work in the US .. and vis versa.. thiers some stuff sold in the US that when plugged in the EU/UK just blows up.  Prices are so compatible these days that i find little incentive to bring from one side to the other anymore. + with the luggage restrictions just not worth it.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
The big point I was trying to make was there is a BIG difference between EU 240v and US 220v.
And i didn't want anybody to get hurt playing w/ electricity.

Letting the smoke out of electronics is bad,very very bad
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:50 PM »
The big point I was trying to make was there is a BIG difference between EU 240v and US 220v.

But I have found a way to put the smoke back in, now I think I will become a millinaire :)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »

But I have found a way to put the smoke back in, now I think I will become a millinaire :)
LOL, yes if you can do that, you will be very rich indeed.

Tags: