Author Topic: Question  (Read 3368 times)

Offline NecroFoxTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • NecroFox has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Question
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
When you started to script did it fail and not work on you alot? and what did you have it do? How long did it take you to code it and work out all the bugs in it?

Sorry for spelling I hate spelling and im really bad at it
----------------------------------------------------
New to writing Scripts need Help accepting from all.
Good Learner
The Fox is cunning so watch your back....

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
Oh man, my first scripts sucked so bad!  It took a few months to develop scripts that just did what I needed then to do.  After that, it took a different level of scripting to make something that other people could use because you really needed to "dummy-proof" scripts, and that's no easy thing to do.

Script authoring requires many many hours of practice.  I really hate to admit how many 1000s of hours I've spent doing that..  yikes.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
Oh man, my first scripts sucked so bad!  It took a few months to develop scripts that just did what I needed then to do.  After that, it took a different level of scripting to make something that other people could use because you really needed to "dummy-proof" scripts, and that's no easy thing to do.

Script authoring requires many many hours of practice.  I really hate to admit how many 1000s of hours I've spent doing that..  yikes.

then i guess im in for a long road ahead of me lucky i found a group of people who can help me and of corse give them thanks and included in the script
Good Learner

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
When you started to script did it fail and not work on you alot? and what did you have it do? How long did it take you to code it and work out all the bugs in it?

It depending on Script,Experience,your Mood and some Coincedence.
When u are in a perfect Mood and have a real big Amount of Experience you can start out a huge Script in some short time.When you have some Coincedence and u stuck, you fast find your Solution.Good friends and a backstanding Community are of course count as Coincedence,too.
I using Easyuo since begin of 2006 and in all these Years i wrote over 4000 Scripts. Not all are Big and Nasty, sometimes they are just a few lines and just help me in some things.
A big Helper for debuging is the Documentation from easyuo, or looking for Examples where other Scripter wrote similar Code,atleast the People here are on an other Level than most of Easyuo Community.
If you are debugging use TrailMyx Scriptuo Development Tool and use the Features of it. They can help you to autointendent your script then you see if your brackets are were setted right, it can say you if you use nonused Subs or missed returns, or using nonexisting commands.
To Gain a average amount of Experience on short time you need to test a lot with all you learned. I bymyself used the Documentation often.
When u make yourself a structure how to Script and keep this structure your learning process raising a lot of more.
But i can tell you, depending on scripttask it needs a long time. My last EUO Project took me now over 4 weeks.
I wroted Code tested a lot, a day later i thought a lot about Code how to make it much better , shorter, more multiuseful and more KI using. So i rewrited again and again, spending hours a day writing,testing,chatting about.
Thats how it works:)

Crome

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Well, to be brutally honest..  The first script I set out to make, is still sitting in pieces in a folder on my desktop.  I couldn't seem to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted it to, so I semi-gave up. 

Moved onto things that were much more simple, and more at my skill level.  I'm still learning, mostly as I go, and from looking at other peoples work.  I seem to understand things better when I can see it and step through it vs the wiki's that look like a foreign language to me.

Just stick with it.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »
Time, patience and persistence is all it takes.    When i look back at some of my first scripts i laugh... I laugh hard.  But i also remember how much work they took and how proud i was.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:05:13 AM »
Necrofox... Don't get discouraged!  I have been watching you from the first day you became a member and watching your development of your first script.  Watching you working on your first script and these guys helping you has gotten me to begin researching the tutorials and looking to get started on my first script.  For me time is the biggest obstacle I have to complete with but you give me hope that maybe I can actually right one:)

BTW... Did you choose to go with EUO or OEUO?  From my understanding OEUO is the replacement to EUO.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »
Oeuo is the replacement for EUO... but it has 2 drawbacks... for many starting out scripting for the first time... they find the concepts harder to understand to get started.  and secondly it has no menu functions presently.

On the plus side Oeuo is so much faster and more powerful.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »
Oeuo is the replacement for EUO... but it has 2 drawbacks... for many starting out scripting for the first time... they find the concepts harder to understand to get started.  and secondly it has no menu functions presently.

On the plus side Oeuo is so much faster and more powerful.
The most disadvantage is the bad Documentation by Easyuo.
Newbies and alternate Scripter have a lot of Problems with getting into it without much knowing.
about Menus, i maybe could make a small "How to make a Menu" Tutorial if this would be the only problem;).
Advantage of course the big Speed improvement.I could Analyze and Loot the whole Corpse in that time EUO would try to analyze...

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
I use Euox for my coding. i am almost done with my script now i will post it here as soon as i get the looting part done and the baiting the line part done.
Good Learner

Tags: