Author Topic: Need to build/setup a NAS - help!  (Read 7616 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Need to build/setup a NAS - help!
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Alrighty!

I'm tired of carting my various external drives from computer to computer when I load music/movies/etc on the various iDevices in the house.  Would be much easier if I had a NAS that I could just point to.

1) What do I need to buy?
2) How do I need to set it up?

Many thanks

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need to build/setup a NAS - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
 You can always use ur USB port to access ur Ext HD via a router.
or you set up a home network using Window.   ( this allow all my PC and Xbox to use my storage for movie)     U use the Network option and follow the set. simple and free.
you can buy a EXT HD that connect via internet.    WD have 3 T for $ 150 on sale sometime

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
Alrighty!

I'm tired of carting my various external drives from computer to computer when I load music/movies/etc on the various iDevices in the house.  Would be much easier if I had a NAS that I could just point to.

1) What do I need to buy?
2) How do I need to set it up?

Many thanks

Depending on your wanted Setup. Back then i invested ~ 170$ for a  Synology NAS-Case together with a WD Red Lne 4TB HDD.
My Nas is configurated at my Wireless-Router means my Consoles , Computers and Smartphones can access to it. The Synology NAS offers a Webinterface with Services for Webhosting, databases and other stuff so i also run my svn-server and such through this.

On my Phone i have a few Apps for Streaming so i can read any data (movies,music and more) from Phone anywhere.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Check out this thread and this post:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=10250.msg86039#msg86039

I'm still using these dual 3.5" drive NAS and love'em.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!  Might have to put this off until after Christmas...work, you know...

Tags: