Author Topic: My Hardcore PC!  (Read 3144 times)

Offline CoraginTopic starter

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
My Hardcore PC!
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »
Well with my new job paying me extremely well I am building a new rig, gonna be the most powerful I have ever seen.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Socket AM3)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (Dual PCIe x 16, + PCIex1, PCI (2), Ram 4, Onboard Video ATI Radeon HD 4290 graphics)
GFX Card: Dual Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 HD 5770 1GB 100283-3L PCI-E (x2)
Ram: DDR3 8gb
HD: WD 2TB HD
Power Supply: Coolmax ATX Power Supply 700W 6&8 pin PCI-E LED CL-700B
BR: LG WH10LS30 SATA 10X Blu-ray
Cooling: THERMALTAKE PW 850I PRO WATER COOLING KIT CL-W0175
Ram Cooler: Evercool
Bay Fan Conrtoller

Now let me explain all this.  Obviously the CPU is the best out right now, the MB has onboard spdif outs as well has hdmi.  The dual video cards have 1gb ram each functioning in crossfire mode.  Obviously ram is starting at 8gb, I will max it out at 16gb.  The 700w power supply is needed to run all the cooling internals let the system use the juice that is needed.  The Liquid Cooling System will be hooked into the cpu obviously but I am buying some extra cooling blocks for the ram and both video cards.  This will allow me to over clock the processor from 3.2 ghz to somewhere around 6ghz and the memory as well, all while keeping the system under or around 40-50c, which is well below max operating temperature.

Adding in a 4th monitor, 2x 22" acer wides, 37" vizio as the media screen, and a 17" to place UO cartographer, EUO, Razor ect in.  Leaving my double 22" for UO/Web browser or a VM Station on one, work on the other.   Thinking of addin in yet two more monitors since I can have 6 total, 22" wides placed on each side of my Vizio tilted on their side to extend the TV for other things, pic slideshow, or whatever.

I will also be adding in two dual haugpauge tv tuners for a total of 4 tv tuners to record anything I want on multiple stations at the same time.  Ovbiously the Bay fan controll will not be controlling a cpu fan as I wont have one, it will however control the case fans and possibly the liquid cooling pump if there is a way to do it.  IT will also be digital, so it will allow me to keep real time track of my cpu temp without running any extra services.

Now for the keyboard I will have two.  One will be completely wireless with a touchpad mouse control build in.  This is for doing typing and stuff from the couch.  The main keyboard I am having trouble deciding on, I like the logitech G series, but I also want backlighted keys.  Can anyone confirm they do that?  Dual mice, one wireless optical, one wireless trackball for programming ect.

I have a logitech harmony remote that I already use in my current setup so I wont need to change anything there.  The spdif out goes to my Sony home theater and powered sub. 

You may be asking why all this?  Why 6 monitors?  Why so much power?  Well I figure like this, next year 3d TV's and 3d capable programs will be coming out to watch movies and games in real 3d (i.e. with the glasses).  While you will need a new tv and blu ray player capable of this, computers will have this more readily available, that is why I choose top of the line dual video cards.  If anyone saw Avatar in 3d you will understand.  Second, with that much power, 16gb of ddr3 ram, overclocked to a 6ghz quad core processor, I will be able to play CoDMW2, UO, WoW, Watch a Blu Ray, and TV all at the same time keeping a good framerate of 25-40 fps on all.  And the secondary reason is I am rebuilding this current pc to a custom box with a modified power supply and blu ray via usb and mounting it in my car.  Yes with yet another 22" wide monitor modded into the roof to flip down, usb blu ray modded into the dash below the stereo, now I got one kick ass looking mod in my car and my daughter can watch movies on the road either from the 2.5" HD or the blu ray.  And the third, I am modding my second computer now into my daughters computer for her room to play on noggin.com, watch movies ect in her room.  Shes 4 and its time she learned to use a computer, plus I know how to set up the computer to make it easy for her to use and do what she wants while limiting what she can "mess up" and what web sites she can visit.

So, thoughts and or suggestions?  Keep your ati v nvidia or amd v intel arguements to yourself lol, I love nvidia and amd, but fact is ati works better with amd than nvidia does.  Not having to run CCC and nvidia display.  :p
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: My Hardcore PC!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »
Alright initial thoughts here...the 700W power supply is way underpowered and you will run into issues, recommend going to a 1000W as you won't be able to power the pumps (you will need 3 to efficiently cool the loops that you want to run on your water cooling setup) along with the remaining components of the system.  Even without the water cooling your are pushing the comfortable limit of the 700W yet you plan to overclock considerably, what this means is that you will have major undervolt issues and your overclock will become severely unstable if at all possible.

Secondly, I am not overly familiar with AMD overclocks but that sounds incredibly high...I don't want to say you can't do it but it doesn't sound right at all...again though I am more familiar with Intel overclocks as of late.  Also something to note is that though you will have the makes for 3D blu-ray you will need to get a 3D monitor as your standard monitors will support it.  There is not alot of info out about what it will take to properly render 3D video but I am sure the video cards should handle it very well as they are very good cards...

Offline CoraginTopic starter

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: My Hardcore PC!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »
Good point on the PS 1000w and the extra pumps.  I didnt think of that but I would have figured it out by watching the pc temp.  To my knowledge, most LCD's should be able to render 3d video as it is just a display, the the processing is done by the video cards, so when the functionality is finally made available by ati, its not more than splitting two images on the screen, the glasses do the rest as they are battery powered blue tooth, each lens flickers alternating eye to eye.

I read a lot of articles on AMD overclocking lately, with a liquid cooling people are basicly doubling their processor power, but that is all based on the liquid cooling keeping the system cool enough.  But the 3d part is still speculation as of right now, if the 3d tech requires 4 color renders (red, green, blue, yellow) instead of the standard 3 (red, green, blue) then yes I would need new monitors, but if it is compliant with 3 color rendering it should be fine.  TV's have their processor and video renderer built in, while a pc is much different.  And word has it the PS3 is already 3d capable using their existing hdmi cables.
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Tags: