Author Topic: networking issues  (Read 9896 times)

Offline KhameleonTopic starter

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
networking issues
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:47:58 AM »
not sure if this is in the right spot

I have xfinity as my isp... I get 50 up, 20 down.
it also has wifi built in as well as 4 rj45 ports
connection is great except for my media streaming devices. I can connect just fine I can download the software... but I can't connect to the software netflix,  hulu plus  vudu.

Ok Here's were it gets confusing. ..

If  I toss my own router into the mix I can connect just fine,  but I lose 1/2 my speed. It drops to  10 up and 10 down I can connect to most of my media devices, but they drag ass or time out....

also on the xfinity router I disabled the firewall ipv4 and ipv6

So my question is
1. why do I lose half my speed when I connect to my own router?
2. Why cant I connect to media devices on my xfinity routers

Is there a way to use my routerus without losing any speed?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: networking issues
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
Is there a firewall built into the xfinity router?  Perhaps you need to relax/remove the firewall rules.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »

Oh, doh.

Do you know if you have the latest firmware running on this router?

What's the specs of your router that's draggin?

Are the ports on the xfinity router capable of 100Mbits?  1000Mbits?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:39:28 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
honestly I don't know...

I know for a fact if I hardwire into the xfinity i'm at 50, if I wire into the router i'm at 20

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
honestly I don't know...

I know for a fact if I hardwire into the xfinity i'm at 50, if I wire into the router i'm at 20

What's the model number of your xfinity router?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:11:05 AM »
honestly I don't know...

What make/model is your router? Does it matter which port on the router you plug into?
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
the Xfinity Cable Modem/Router is Arris tg862g/ct

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »
ok I did some testing, it doesn't seem to matter which port I'm coming out of from the x-finity modem

from the bottom to top speeds
from modem to computer 60.1 Mb/s port 1
from modem to router 17.55 Mb/s port 1
from modem to router 17.76 Mb/s port 2
from modem to computer 60.12 Mb/s port 2

the upload never changed though 12 Mb/s

I've read some ppl have called comcast to put there modem in Bridge mode, but I don't know if that will help my issue.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
speed test.png

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »
I have almost the exact same setup as you Kham.  I have comcast blast Internet with 50 down / 20 up and the same model Arris gateway.   I originally used the gateway as router and wifi but found out that it is setup to block port forwarding (I believe... not a networkin guy) which wouldn't allow me to download movies and such like I normally do.   I did notice that with an rj45 hard line from the gateway to PC I would get speeds at or above 50 down.    I ultimately had them put the gateway in bridge mode and have been using a 8 yr old 54 Mbs Linksys wifi router (2.4 Ghz) for some time now.   Using my own router with a hard line to pc I get maybe 40 Mbs down if I speedtest but ONLY for a short period AFTER power cycling my router.   I regularly get between 12 -22 down if I don't power cycle my router and that can degrade drastically.   My current problem is that if anyone streams with the wifi my desktop will straight up lose connection like it has 0 bandwidth.   I'm actually considering buying an up to date wifi router in hopes of that being an easy fix.   Otherwise I will have to do more research.   Its like my speeds degrade over time and power cycling the wifi router fixes that temporarily.   I unfortunately use 5 he triple play pckg... so the gateway has Void which makes it difficult to by my own modem and stop paying comcast 9-10 bucks a month for it.....   Anyway... bride mode might work well for you assuming my old as dirt router is my problem.... Good luck getting a tech smart enough to do it.   3.5 hours on phone when I did it.   Had to Google how to confirm it was done and then argue with multiple techs..... Apparently the best way to go about it is simply tell them to escalate the call.   I got to 3rd tier and took the guy 1 min at that point.    Keep me posted on what you find out!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »
is stetting up in bridge mode something they have to do on their end? or a combination of my end and their end?

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
If you can access your gateway's configuration then you should be able to enable bridge mode yourself.   I can access mine by going to 10.0.0.1 and then selecting

Connection > Status > Click "Edit" on Local IP Network > Click Enabled "Bridge Mode"

I cannot say this works for certain bc when I initially setup my gateway a few years ago the login/pw to configure it wouldn't work so I had to call them and get them to do.   Currently I seem to have resolved my problems by throwing $$$ at it.   The old Wifi Router I was using was this...

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424458499&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+wrt54g

and because the wife had a $100 gift card to best buy I went with this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wirelessac1900-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-router-black/8448381.p?id=1219334566012&skuId=8448381

As Far as I can tell the Asus AC68P is basically a Version 2 of the AC68U and has a slightly faster processor but is only sold at Best buy.   The AC68U is what I had decided on after some google searching but the P is working great.  I think the drastic difference is simply that the new router has a gigabit WAN so I can get EVERYTHING out of my connection.   Comcast has done that whole "Double what you have" thing a few times so I'm still not sure if I'm technically supposed to be getting 50 Mbps or 100Mbps....   I'm happy atm with what I get though..

Previous best while using old router was around 45 Mbps RIGHT after power cycling it.. which typically degraded down to about 25 through the day... and NOW...

This has been the same every time I checked it for the last couple of days too.

The 5Ghz band of the Wifi is pulling 100 Mbps on my Galaxy S4 through my whole small condo... and our Ipad 2 is getting upwards of 45Mbps on Wifi which is a drastic upgrade from the 5-6 Mbps we were getting on both devices before... Basically 2 phones + ipad + desktop can ALL be used at the same time with no lagging out.

Anyway.. considering the $100 gift card I ultimately walked out the door for $120 to fix the problem..   Been up for a few days and all is working great.   The Web config for the Asus Router is VERY nice also.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
ok, I have seen the enable bridge mode, but I wasn't sure if there was more than just flipping the toggle switch.
I might give it a try tomorrow if that's all there is to it.

Tags: