Author Topic: Bought this for my son  (Read 4722 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Bought this for my son
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »

Celestron NexStar 130 SLT

It's a GoTo scope, will be here this afternoon.

Just put in some local information, like date/time, city... then target any three bright objects in the sky. The scope doesn't have to have what they are. It will calculate their relative positions to each other with the known date of your location and date/time and it will align itself. After that you just tell it goto "Saturn" and the motors align it with Saturn.

I got a rechargeable power pack

And a lens/filter kit

We're planning on some serious star gazing while camping this year.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Bought this for my son
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
Nice man good to see dads getting away from uo and spending time with the kidies

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
That is going to be really nice!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
Like most things, I knew nothing about telescopes.

After doing my research I knew I wanted a dob... but had to pick between Normal - Push To - and GoTo.

Normal - You move it where you want it. You have to be familiar with the night sky to target objects.
- Advantage: More scope for the $$$$. The cost is totally in the scope so you get a larger scope for the money.
- Disadvantage: You need to be familiar with objects in the sky to be able to find them.
-- Scope will not track objects, you must move it.

Push To - You move it, but there's a display that tells you which way to move it to find the object your looking for.
- Advantage: Easier to find objects, most have 4000+ object databases. Simple setup and it'll find stuff for you.
- Disadvantage: Less scope for the $$$$ because of the "computer".
-- Scope will not track objects, you must move it.

GoTo - Simply set it up and pick what you want to see. Scope moves to target automatically.
- Advantage: Anyone can find objects in the sky.
-- Scope will track objects, keeping them in view even with the earth's rotation.
- Disadvantage: Less scope for the $$$$ because of the motorized tri-pod and computer.

I went with a GoTo because I figured that having to target stuff manually would just suck and my son would quickly lose interest. With the GoTo we just set it up and the hand held display will give us a list of interesting objects. We just chose one to look at and the scope goes to it. More time viewing and less time searching.

If anyone is interested I can explain a little more about magnifications and such. It's all stuff I've learned over the past few months of researching. If there are questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
That is really freaking cool. 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
sure beats my manual telescope...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
Nice man good to see dads getting away from uo and spending time with the kidies

I star-gazed with a sextant with my girlfriend in UO last night! No need to getaway from UO!
 ;D
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »

I star-gazed with a sextant with my girlfriend in UO last night! No need to getaway from UO!
 ;D

Lol did u still kiss and pull the ole arm over the shoulder routine

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »
you can really zoom into the neighbors bedroom with that bad boy eh?

Offline FishQueen

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • FishQueen has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:32:37 AM »
Now, if only my husband would have included me in UO things might have been different. He gave that your a girl what the hell do you know about UO speech some many freaking times he was giving it to me when we signed our divorce papers. I think it's funny I'm actually finding comfort in playing UO. Star gazing sounds really cool I wish I had a guy to camping with and stargaze with. Can you actually star gaze on UO? Sounds interesting...

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »
I dunno maybe.. check out moonglow, there is an observation deck, also with a spyglass you can see if the moon is waning or waxing.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Our scope looks just like that, just about 10 years older and the battery pack is a little frail. Did yours come with a plastic or leather battery pack?

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
Plastic.

It's pretty cool, only had a couple clear nights to test and it's been pretty cold.

We could see a single star and when we sighted it in and looked through the scope and saw like a dozen stars surrounding that one.

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »
not as impressive but when I was a kid my dad brought home military grade night vision goggles, I looked up into the sky and you could see 100x more stars than you could normally it was insane....

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
Skies finally cleared up a bit and the sliver of a moon was out.

Awesome.

Started with a 32mm to get the moon centered and we were able to make out craters and structure as clear as a picture. Changed eyepieces to "zoom" in some and it was absolutely amazing. We could actually see shadows *inside* the craters.

Can't wait til next weekends "Supermoon"! Probably going to go cold camping, need to pick up a propane heater and a new air mattress.

Tags: