Author Topic: Creating Menus  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Scotch_TapeTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Scotch_Tape has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Creating Menus
« on: May 23, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
I used the menu creator @ easyuo  years ago to create then copy/paste. Is this still the normal way to see the layout or is there an alternative?

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Gaderian barely matters.Gaderian barely matters.
  • Respect: +50
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Menus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 06:10:53 PM »
It works reasonably to create menu's.
The major new rule for menu's is that some things can't have duplicated names. That means you have to delete the old one before creating a new one. I do not do the "delete, then make it with a the name name" method.

I create unique elements for all my buttons in the main menu creation subroutine, then I toggle visibility when I want a different button there. I draw my pause and resume buttons exactly in the same place, but as separate buttons. then I will hide the one I want inactive and flip the visibility when needed. There is an example here with my new menu code tutorial.

any field you want to update (menu text...) should have a unique name.
menu font transparent doesn't work.
you can have the original menu setup (either the old commands or using "menu form form0") with some transparency value, but no new forms can have transparency.

There are 2 stickied post in Tutorials here that I tried to assemble all the new information about easyuo that isn't updated in the wiki over on easyuo.com.

I mapped a bunch of colors and there is a called script you can use to define all the colors. I wish I had understood namespaces when I did all that, but that took another 6 months before I even tried. Otherwise colors need to be in hexadecimal form as $BBGGRR. The color will work in decimal, it is just harder to predict. ;)

2 new concepts:
-Everything has a parent (the form or panel where the elements is placed)
-You can modify most parameters to any element using "menu setprop"
"Go ahead ask me: 'Should I use hard waits or timers?'"
You say:"Should I"
Gaderian:"Timers!"
You Say:"use hard waits or timers?"

The serious side of timer use is illustrated here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=12094.msg101926#msg101926

However, every time I go back and look at this [AutoLooter] script, I realize I had wrote it in my zen state of EUO scripting - so it makes my brain hurt.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
As always thanks Gad, I have read those tutorials and I get the stop deleting menu item. I'll go grab the menu designer from easy and make a menu knowing its the best tool I've got.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »
I was sad to see that Una at EasyUO never published his Menu Designer.  He made it available to us when we were doing the in-depth discussions back around 2015.  It really worked well, but has stopped functioning with later versions of Windows.  But it was a very good alternative.  Perhaps you can ping him and see if he's willing to provide the source or tweak it for a more modern Windows.  I still have a copy, but I can't release it since he meant to keep it unreleased until he felt it was ready for prime-time.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
Well it shows the last time he logged into EasyUO was Mar 15, 2021.  I'll just send him a link to this post I've never met the guy.  Maybe I'll send him a picture of my sad menu and he'll take pity on me. 

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Gaderian barely matters.Gaderian barely matters.
  • Respect: +50
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »
I personally delight in turning menus with a frown into happy menus. Scotch, my offer to you always stands.
"Go ahead ask me: 'Should I use hard waits or timers?'"
You say:"Should I"
Gaderian:"Timers!"
You Say:"use hard waits or timers?"

The serious side of timer use is illustrated here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=12094.msg101926#msg101926

However, every time I go back and look at this [AutoLooter] script, I realize I had wrote it in my zen state of EUO scripting - so it makes my brain hurt.

Tags: