Author Topic: I think I'm ready...  (Read 3058 times)

Bagenholt

I think I'm ready...
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:04:05 AM »
To take the plunge into this world of scripting. Was wondering if you could give me pointers on what are essential reads before even thinking about touching SUO. I can read c/++ alittle if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'm ready...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:25:36 AM »
We have a tutorial section. You may want to start there.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Bagenholt

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
I'm actualy just going through your body of work now ^^b

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:48:19 AM »
EUO also has an old tutorial section and the Wiki Documentation of commands etc  is a must read.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Scrripty

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:50:24 AM »
I think the best way is just to dive in.  As you learn about commands, you'll read a lot.  :)  Just jump in both feet first, it's easier that way.  You'll learn as you try to figure things out.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »
I recommend that you try something simple like learning how to place a gump in a certain place or open a chest and move items from a chest to another chest or backpack.  If you are interested in items like this i will help you though it.  Then you should be ready to start dissassembling other peeps scripts.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:53:05 AM by Masscre »

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:47:52 AM »
Ah, yes, let the darkside flow through your veins.  You have great power!

Bagenholt

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »
Ah thank you so much for the feedback. All really good places to start. I know what my first official script release is going to be it's just getting their. I've cut it down to what I'd need it to do which is a start I guess. Think I'm going to finish reading through cervs work and dive into the EUO libary and then disect a lucky someones work here on SUO. I think it may be easier to go step by step through someone elses work that is similiar to what I want to acheive in my own first script. I'm actualy getting excited now. But yeah:

Cervs work
EUO libary
Command List

I may docuement my experience with getting to grips learning to write with SUO and post as I'm going along. May turn out to be an interesting tutorial tread lol

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »
Check the script debug thread too.  There's a lot of interesting discussions about stuff in there with examples and such. 

Tags: