Author Topic: Tether your Android phone for internet connectivity  (Read 11391 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Tether your Android phone for internet connectivity
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
Never tried an antenna.  I have noticed that my WWAN modem from before just can't keep up with the tethered android.  Verizon helps since that network is so fast.  I have tethered my blackberry/AT&T, and I'm not really surprised how slow that is.  I'm curious what the Verizon people might have to say.  They frown on tethering when they aren't getting a cut.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 09:46:12 PM »
I tether my HTC Hero (CDMA) for Sprint occasionally. Nice for when I'd rather use my laptop than browse on my phone if I'm out and about. I have my phone rooted so I don't need to buy any apps to tether, just plug in and go! Not to mention a truly unlimited data plan (plus unlimited messaging and 3000 minutes) for $20/month! Can't beat RadioShack employee plans!!!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
Was surprised to see this up and going again...maybe I just missed it alot...dunno.  Anyways, tethering is so nice, especially when you don't have to pay the extra fees that are technically required.  Of course with PDAnet you get the free tether after the one time purchase (I loved it and still use it ocassionally).  There is also the option of rooting your phone if you haven't already.  I am a big android fanboy so I will be glad to help out anyone with getting their phone setup should you need it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
I might try and talk you into the root process for my Incredible.  Although I'm doing OK without it.  I kinda like the PDANet utility and that it intercepts the incoming text messages to display them on my computer.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »
Sure, anytime.  It is pretty easy especially now.  NAND unlock has also been out for a few weeks now.  I actually just upgraded my phone to 2.2 last week and have been loving the improved performance that I got.  If you wanna hollar at me I am available on google chat pretty much 24/7 or you can give me a call.  Let me know what your preference is and I will send ya my contact info.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Man, I'd love to get 2.2 on my phone.  They said they'd officially push it out, but man it's taking forever.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
Sent ya a PM.

Official 2.2 OTA is not really OTA....it is out in the wild though and you can get to it with or without root....however, I can give ya root and the official 2.2 if your interested (need to root before 2.2 upgrade otherwise it is a major PITA to get root).  2.2 upgrade will also include a new HBoot loader and new radio firmware.  Biggest downfall will be the upgrade in OS requires a reinstall of apps (so might want to make a list) as Titanium Backup (or any other backup software) really won't port the apps into 2.2 properly.  Also if you don't or haven't already you will want to ensure all of your contacts are imported into gmail so they can be easily recovered.  There is a recovery method from Verizon but it ultimately requires gmail anyways.  If you do facebook linking you will unfortunately have to redo that by hand again for your contacts....really that was the most painful part for me...but only takes a few minutes.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
Cool, thanks for the PM and the info.  I was going to give the official channels a bit more time before I start to muck around with my phone.  This one has been so sexy smooth that I'd really hate to brick it.  Never once have I wanted to throw this phone against the wall.  My last WinMOB was lucky to survive only to become relegated to my dead cellphone drawer with all the Razors.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »
http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Incredible/RUU_Incredible_C_Froyo_VERIZON_WWE_3.21.605.1_Radio_2.15.00.07.28_2k4k_NV_1.50_PRL58006_release_143351_signed.exe

That is the official RUU (Rom Update Utility) that has been digitally signed by HTC/Verizon and thus will install properly on an unlocked/unrooted Incredible.  This is the update that will eventually be coming over the air.  This will make it more difficult to get root if you do decide to need it but otherwise this is the official 2.2 release.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
Actually, I just checked the Verizon website, and they started pushing this update out on the 27th.  So I need to be a bit patient.  ;)

I want that new JIT compiler!!!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline tandj99

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • tandj99 has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I just got my HTC Incredible the other day and havent really done anything with it yet. what are some good apps or wigets to get? i got a couple but thats it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »
I just got my HTC Incredible the other day and havent really done anything with it yet. what are some good apps or wigets to get? i got a couple but thats it.

Just go through the marketplace.  There's all kinds of different apps out there.  Really depends on what you like.  I have most of the Googles ones, and the barcode reader is kinda fun.  Flixter for movies, places directory for shopping, shazam for music recognition,  urbanspoon for food, etc.  Just look around.  Droid48 emulates my favorite HP calculator, so that's my personal favorite.  Oh, and we're talking about PDAnet for tethering.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Actually, I just checked the Verizon website, and they started pushing this update out on the 27th.  So I need to be a bit patient.  ;)

I want that new JIT compiler!!!

Yeah they started pushing it out....from what I have managed to find out is that it is going exceptionally slow.  Like 1 in 100 phones at this point has gotten it. 

Apps...I like Advanced Task killer, Yelp (Food and reviews), Shazaam, Quadrant (benchmarking), Wireless Tether (root needed), PDAnet (no root needed....still have it on my phone anyways but replaced by Wireless Tether functionally), Wifi Analyzer, Quick Boot (root required), IMDb, Facebook, Fandango, Pandora, Incredilight (2.2 comes with flashlight app...incredilight requires root).  That covers the basics of what I really like.  Didn't mention google stuff....maps, latitude, talk, gmail (think all those are included stock anyways)...but are a must!

Widgets...just use the stock clock from HTC and Pandora....oh and Advanced Task killer....not a big widget person.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:13:24 PM by Xclio »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
BTW, I have been using this tethering program for a while now.  It's saved me $88/month since I started using it.  Simply the best up-front money I've ever spent!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
On my new Samsung Galaxy Tab, I can just use the Sprint mobile-hotspot and connect 5 devices to it wirelessly! No tethering needed!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: