Author Topic: Sounds kinda fishy to me  (Read 2312 times)

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Sounds kinda fishy to me
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
So I see this ad on craigslist for nice bike, 2008 honda cbr 1000.  Immaculate condition, pictures and everything.  Looks like its straight off the showroom floor.  Only asking 2000.00.  I send an email asking why so cheap, and for more pics.  I get this response back twice in a matter of minutes.  

Hi,
 The motorcycle (2008 Honda CBR1000RR)  is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the bike manuals, title,documents. I'm selling this bike because my child of only 23 died 4 months ago in a car accident,a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 15 years old. The bike belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The last price is $2,000. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through Google Checkout.I just need your full name,full shipping address, home/cell # so I can initiate the transaction.(with no further obligation or fees).Google Checkout will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need.We will take care of the shipping so don't worry.
We hope to hear soon from you.
Thank you for your interest!

P.S Let me know if you want some pics!

Low Kb is like 5600, high kb is like 11k.  So, sad story and all.  i email her back asking for her phone number, I would like to talk to her before giving her my info.  No response in six hours.  Plus, I don't think the bike is in the same city im in.  After I got that first email, i was pretty much done with it.  Curious to see if she would respond any further.  What do you think?  Scam, i think so. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:08:57 PM by Hoby »
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Sounds kinda fishy to me
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
Run far, run fast.  That is fishy, or at least scammy.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »
Story sounds very sad, but scammers will stoop very low to take your hard earned money and run with it !!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:03:31 AM »
Flag the posting, it's definitely a scam.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:29:24 AM »
There's really no sure way to confirm that this is a scam. Send me your name, social, address, bank routing and account numbers, and credit card info including expiration and security code and I'll take a look into it for ya.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »
I got another email from that person.  Bikes located in NY at a shippers.  blah blah blassity blah.  Looked again this morning and there is another similiar post, cheap cheap bike, husband had a heart attack, will only go through ebay, blah blah blah...
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
They run a similar scam with purebred dogs. We were looking for a Siberian Husky Breeder and there are all of these postings on forums that use to be pretty good about keeping scammers off them. The person is selling the puppies and they are not interested in making a large profit, just want to make sure that they go to good christian homes. You contact them and they e-mail back saying that they want to know about you and your family to make sure that you are going to be a good fit. They are selling them for $200 versus the normal 600-700 that they cost. So we were thinking scam so we gave them a perfect storybook family answer. They contacted us back saying that we were perfect and that they were going to ship the dog to us. Supposedly they were in NC at the time. So they want info from us so that they could ship the puppy. We give them fake info and let them call our emergency cell phone. Its one of those pay-as-you-go phones that we keep in my wife's car in case hers is dead or left at home when she is out. They text us and tell us that the puppy is at the airport ready to go and all we need to do is western union them the $199.99 and then $35 for a health inspection at the airport. I had figured it was a scam and knew for sure that it was then. It was 9:30pm by that time and no way could they get anything shipped that late not to mention that the airlines don't have a vet at the airport to do health checks. You just have to provide shot records. So I am playing along and tell them that I just want to drive there and pick up the puppy and they kept up with that it is at the airport and on its way and that it is too late. So I respond with how can it be because I didn't pay for the puppy or the health check so it couldn't be on the plane already. It was sad and funny at the same time. They actually had the balls to text the next day and try again. Of course the text number wasn't complete because it was being sent from a computer in a foreign country. We looked it up online as soon as we heard the airport and health check line. They scam a lot of people that way. They keep saying things like now the puppy is sick and needs treatment and that it needs this and that and they bilk people for a couple of thousand dollars before people catch on. My guess is the motorcycle will be the same things, only extra shipping costs and this and that and before you know it you have sent them a few thousand dollars and never get a motorcycle because there is none and they are in another country. There is no way to prosecute them or recover your money.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110306133112AA7M5lZ
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110213084243AA6Ohy0
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101130130446AAKoymY
http://askville.amazon.com/craigslist-google-checkout-scam-connected-withsomeone-wanting-sell-ATV-state/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=73749890

These are only the first couple listed on my google search. Do a google search on "motorcycle sales scam son died" and you will see tons more like it.

Tags: