Author Topic: Stygian Dragon - A throwing tutorial  (Read 15966 times)

Offline MacrophageTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Macrophage has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Stygian Dragon - A throwing tutorial
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
In this thread I am delivering my findings on fighting Stygian Dragon 1V1. While the template is not my creation, I will throw in a nice trick specific for that encounter I discovered myself.

First of all: what is the template?
1) skills

I am using resists because it s very handy when you solo spawns like Primeval Lich or Abyssal Inferno. For Stygian Dragon, you can go for something else, like bushido for lightning strike for example.

2) stats

Here are my stats without pots. Going to 150 str can be handy for the additional hps (its double special can be devastating at time).

3) The wep

You want to have as close as 100 as you can. Even though you'll mainly use AI you could be hitting for much harder with a 100% cold soul glaive than what I am using. Unfortunately, the 100% soul glaives with the right mods are extremely hard to make.
The Dragon slayer doesn't pump as much intensity as reptile, and assures you that you re going to always hit at the 300% damage limit. The 40% DI, along with the 60% on my suit, will allow me to cap the base damage as well. I have 30 SSI so with the 15 SSI I have on my suit (berserker+cloak), I will swing at 1.5sec/hit. The HML will help me to get mana back when the Stygian Dragon is out of mana.

II Getting the keys

To get the keys you need to kill the spawn of the Ancient Wyvern [renowned], located in the abyss at the following place:

The spawn starts with fairy dragons and then wyverns. Your dragon slayer will cap your damage on both of them. The last level is ancient servants, and only Enemy of One will help you deliver more damage on them. The boss is subject to dragon slayer as well. Overall, that spawn provides good items, so it's worth doing it until the boss (included) even if you have your set quickly. In my case, someone had dropped the keys on the ground so it went fast...

The keys are those blueish bubbles called Draconic Orbs. You need 4 of them. Once you have collected enough, you head to the western part of the spawn, climb the stairs and keep heading west in a long corridor until you reach the altars.

Once there double click a altar then an orb, rince and repeat for all 4 of them. The ones that seem already placed are not actually placed, it's probably a hint but more confusing than anything. So you really need 4. A gate will then open and you can enter the arena! Note that this arena allows recall out, it may be a good idea to cancel your emergency recall macro, if you have any.

III) Fighting Stygian Dragon
1) the trick
When you enter the room, go to the south teleporter and use it:

Then follow the corridor until you reach another teleporter:

That teleporter is magic, it will teleport you one floor higher, to the other side of the corridor.

The Stygian Dragon has no troubles flying from one of those teles to the other. You should train a bit using them, since you can't take them from every direction.

Once you are good at using them, and sure you wont panic mid fight, go pull the Stygian Dragon.
Pingpong between the two teleporters and use aids to heal yourself whenever it s needed. Spam AI as much as you can. If you die, you can res on the eastern side of the corridor, but it's no use dieing. You should'nt die if you play carefully, by teleporting instantly upon having your health bar decreasing. You don't need to move, Stygian Dragon will be on you within seconds. Sometimes, when he decides to rest, you can go to the previous teleporter but always with max health first.
After 5-10 minutes you'll have killed the Stygian Dragon:

Hope you have liked that tutorial ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:53:26 AM by Macrophage »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Stygian Dragon - A throwing tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
Nice write up! But those 2D Graphics hurt my eyes...man they're horrible! How you guys play on that is beyond me.

If you get Paniced by Stygian Dragon when it's at full health it's almost certain death...there's really nothing you can do. I'll usually honor myself before first engaging to get that first initial Panic attack out of the way...same with Slasher. Sometimes later in the fight he may Panic you again and if he's low on life your chances are better but not much.

Without those teleporters Stygian Dragon would be a nightmare.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
Ah, I love it when someone does my work for me. This is the exact strategy I use on my archer, I choose archery so I don't lose damagewhen he is far away.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SolidSnake has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
I use a wraith form thrower myself so weapon make up is life / stam / ssi / damage / dragon slayer.

120 bush / healing type template.

Can curse weapon if you ever get too low.

Honor him and come down off the stairs, turn left and just start going clockwise.

Never turn in towards him or you get frozen.

Just keep going in a circle clockwise and AI.

Takes about 5-7 minutes to kill and never die.

Who needs teleporters!!

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Neo barely matters.Neo barely matters.
  • Respect: +155
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
I use a wraith form thrower myself so weapon make up is life / stam / ssi / damage / dragon slayer.

120 bush / healing type template.

Can curse weapon if you ever get too low.

Honor him and come down off the stairs, turn left and just start going clockwise.

Never turn in towards him or you get frozen.

Just keep going in a circle clockwise and AI.

Takes about 5-7 minutes to kill and never die.

Who needs teleporters!!
If you don't have mana leech on your weapon, won't you stop leeching mana through wraith form once the dragon is out of mana?
Never refuse an invitation.
Never resist the unfamiliar.
Never fail to be polite.
And never outstay your welcome.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
I use a similar Strategy but on lower levels.And i implented a Openuo Script for it. Currently in Teststage, but nice Tutorial! :o

Kind Regards
Crome

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
sorry..forgot to mention I am in wraith form

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
sorry..forgot to mention I am in wraith form
You mentioned wraith form... I was wondering if you wouldn't stop leeching mana in wraith form, once the dragon ran out of mana....

Cheers
Never fail to be polite.

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »
Never had a problem with mana...it's dead quite fast and I always seem to have the mana for another AI from leeching

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
Never had a problem with mana...it's dead quite fast and I always seem to have the mana for another AI from leeching
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know...

Cheers!
Never fail to be polite.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
I do Stygian Dragon in Vampire Form with Manaleech Weapon works very well.. Only Using Lighting Strike and Armor Ignore and Divine Fury\Enemy of One and Concerate Arma:)

Tags: