Author Topic: Anyone ever had a root canal done?  (Read 8577 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Anyone ever had a root canal done?
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
I've been in agonizing pain the past 3 days with a toothache that's become infected and spread to my jaw. I was hoping the tooth would just fall out and I'd be done with it but such isn't the case.

After doing some research on the internet it looked like a root canal is what was going to be needed and my visit to the Dentist today confirmed it.

They want to do it Thursday...

I might have to shop around for a better price since I'm an unemployed student and everything will be out of pocket.

Has anyone here ever had a root canal done? Did it hurt like hell?

They also want to pull my wisdom teeth...

Things to look forward to.

I imagine it can be much worse than the pain I'm in now. Once a tooth becomes infected it's hurts like a mother let me tell you. I don't know how much worse it can get. ???

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever had a root canal done?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
I've had a root canal - two actually, no big deal. Expensive but as far as discomfort goes, nothing like the pain you're probably going through right now without one. I remember thinking "why does everyone make such a big deal of THAT?" afterward.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
I've had a root canal - two actually, no big deal. Expensive but as far as discomfort goes, nothing like the pain you're probably going through right now without one. I remember thinking "why does everyone make such a big deal of THAT?" afterward.

X

Thanks 12X that's exactly what I wanted to hear! ;)

The toothache pain is unreal and I'm not sure the alternative of "healing" could be much worse. I thought when I've heard of toothache that it pertained simply to the tooth itself but the bacteria/infection has given me headaches, fever, and a pain in my jawbone which is excruciating. Literally incapacitated me at times.

It ranks in the top 5 of painful experiences I've ever had in my life. I can't imagine too many things being much worse.

You've instilled confidence in me with your words thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »
Just keep your eyes closed when they bring out the tools.  Muahaha.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
you could always use an ice skate and do it yourself :D

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
If you want to reduce the cost... Do what I do when I get stitches and such, ask for no anesthesia.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
If you want to reduce the cost... Do what I do when I get stitches and such, ask for no anesthesia.

Hardcore, bro.  Hardcore.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:59:04 AM »
You've instilled confidence in me with your words
Well I can't say that I hear THAT very often ;)

No problem man, get it done! I've been in the same boat with tooth pain on a couple of occasions, pain that percocet would barely even touch.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline holmedog

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • holmedog has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
Had one done on an eye tooth.  The pain is very minimal.  Most dentists will prescribe you Oxycontin for afterwards, too.  Mine was sore for ~1 week, but it was a dull, easy to ignore, sore.

The one thing I would caution is the fallout of a root canal.  Your tooth is now dead.  You *WILL* have to have a crown done in the future.  Not immediately by any means, but eventually.  I had mine done ~3 years ago and it's starting to show discolor at the base just now, which I understand is common.

So, make sure you keep up that dental insurance so when you do have to get the crown you don't have to pay through the nose for it.

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:44:09 AM »
Wisdom teeth OUCH that was a horrible pain for me!!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »
It seems like pulling wisdom teeth is a good earner for dentists... I had all 4 of mine pulled long ago...  I was never 100% convinced that was absolutely necessarily,  as my siblings in Europe haven't had theirs pulled,  and like any surgery wisdom teeth pulling comes with risks...  You might want to shop around and get a second opinion on that one as wisdom teeth pulling can be mighty expensive depending on how easy yours are to pull, don't go with the cheapest person though .. lowest bidder is never a good place for important stuff..   At the very least get an opinion on how urgent ie can you put it off a couple years until you have insurance.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:20 AM »
I never had mine pulled going against the suggestion of my Dr.  Every 5 years or so, they try and crowd my existing teeth and last week was one of those episodes.  Mine are extreme cases, though.  My lower molars are oriented perpendicular to the rest of my teeth.  The Xrays are shocking.  But they are normally happy.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:13 AM »
It seems like pulling wisdom teeth is a good earner for dentists... I had all 4 of mine pulled long ago...  I was never 100% convinced that was absolutely necessarily,  as my siblings in Europe haven't had theirs pulled,  and like any surgery wisdom teeth pulling comes with risks...  You might want to shop around and get a second opinion on that one as wisdom teeth pulling can be mighty expensive depending on how easy yours are to pull, don't go with the cheapest person though .. lowest bidder is never a good place for important stuff..   At the very least get an opinion on how urgent ie can you put it off a couple years until you have insurance.

I have 1 Wisdom tooth left and it looks like it's going bad according to the X-rays and I can see inside my mouth it doesn't look good. It's the pulling of the Wisdom tooth that has me scared. They don't pull wisdom teeth in Europe? I really don't get it...mankind has made it this far why did they start pulling wisdom teeth?

$1700 to pull the wisdom tooth, the root canal and put on a crown. $500 down and 8 payments of $150. Not sure how fair a price that is.

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »
those prices are crazy.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 18. I went en for a teeth cleaning and left with no wisdom teeth, which meant I probably didnt need them pulled. They shot my mouth up with lidocaine and went to town. An hour later I left with bleeding gums and a prescription for percocet and a refil.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
The pain you have now is worse than after a root canal.  You could probaby do it with novacaine and no general to save money, but it will be rough. Pulling wisdom teeth is good practice if they are decaying, but is probably not an emergency. Most US dentists pull them because they are hard to brush and prone to cavities.  I didn't have mine pulled until they started getting cavities.

You can't skip on a root canal though if you need it. Seems arcane, but you can die from an infected tooth.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Tags: