Author Topic: Learning Guide Post  (Read 2827 times)

Offline CrisisTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Learning Guide Post
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
My free time has increased and I am going to figure out how to make a thorough and stable crafting script even if it kills me. I will start out with a rewrite of my carpentry script.

I would like to create a learning thread for myself and anyone else that is interested in seeing my mistakes and how I learn to correct them. I would like to tackle my script a sub at a time explain how I think it works, see what others think and suggest, and then at the end of it, put it all together and hope it works as intended. If it doesn't then I would continue with the thread and trouble shoot it. I am not much of a book learner but more of a hands on, jump in head first and tinker with it until I figure it out or break it learner.

I have 2 questions about my suggested plan.

1. Is this something that is acceptable to post and would others be interested in it?

2. If it is, then where should I start the thread? I was thinking one of three places but don't know what would be preferred or best. I was thinking of these three:
  • Scripting Chat
  • Script Debug
  • Scripting Tutorials

What are your thoughts on this?

Once I have EasyUO figured out I may try and figure out stealth lol.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Learning Guide Post
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
This is a good idea.  It does help people to read about the efforts people make during their "discovery" phase in learning scripting.  There are so many things that you basically "run into" as you script that you can't teach just by looking at code.  It's kinda like a blog of scripting learning.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
I would say since it is a sort of blog of how you change things.  I would keep it in Scripting Chat.  Since you are not necessarily asking for others to debug and it isn't a full tutorial.  However i'm sure you could make it a FAQ tutorial once completed.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SolidSnake has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
*Thumbs up* A very useful item that many would enjoy, including myself.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »
Good Idea, the only thing i would rethink would be :

Once I have EasyUO figured out I may try and figure out stealth lol.

I would either try learn easyuo or stealth. Else you drop yourself in learning 2 different engines for exact the same thing.
I would cut this and either learn easyuo or stealth.
Would be very interesting seeing someone blogging on his stealth learning progress  8)

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
Since I like how Crisis work and build his script, I'm interesting in reading and learning as well.

Tags: