Author Topic: Hi my name is joey...I play UO....can I have some free stuff now?  (Read 861 times)

Offline FranklyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Frankly has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
OK, fine, I suppose I can put in some more effort than just copying some text from a post telling me to put in more effort...

I originally played UO on Catskills from 1999-2005 or so.  The truly astute of you will recognize that end date as around the time that the great taker of MMO players, WoW, came around.  I didn't really intend to drop UO for WoW, in fact I played both for a fair bit, but in the end, I was a struggling college student and could really only afford one sub.  All of my friends had moved on, and I was the only one cruising the high seas of UO, searching for 8X8 resources to round out my characters, trying to keep up with some of the more recent (at the time) changes.  I fell out for a long time, but checked back in every now and again, read patch notes, things like that, but never re-subbed. 

Recently, however, I stumbled across Trammie Surprise on YouTube (I hope I'm not throwing my lot in with the wrong crowd there, I'm not sure how people feel about him and/or Outlands) and, he really inspired me to take a more detailed look at the state of all things UO.  I'm a little older now (as are my kids, which helps), a little more financially stable (which also helps support my two sub lifestyle), and a little more eager to get back into it.  I dipped my toes into Outlands, just to see what was up, and it was instant joy.  Yeah, it's different, but man, the rush is still there, especially the drip-drip reward of gaining skills, and the endless inventory micro-management.  So, now I'm on and off with Outlands a bit, more on than off with my old Catskills account (I cannot believe Broadsword was able to dig it all up), and lately more off than on with WoW, but I know those two can peacefully co-exist, sucking all of my free time dry.  I'm pretty excited to try out some of the "new" (to me) styles of builds, as it was...  less interactive, I think back in the day.  Spellweaving, Sampires, Animal Training, so much has changed, so much to try out.

When I went back to my archive HDD, where I knew I had kept all of my old UO screenshots, etc, I had completely forgotten that I was using EasyUO around the time I had left the game.  Pretty sure I was using a mining script very casually, because I thought it was so advanced at the time (or at least I thought so).  So when I started getting back in, I started looking up scripting resources for the ClassicUO client, which led me back to EasyUO and then to ScriptUO.  I'm still very much trying to get my feet back under me after being gone for so long, but having a blast, and looking to see what offerings there are in all aspects.  I've chatted around a bit and been told that pretty much everything is on the table on an OSI server, so long as it's not overt, or unattended, which seems like it would open up some interesting avenues.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'll continue to feel things out as I go.

I've read through some threads here and on the EasyUO forums, but if anyone wants to point me to any sort of "START HERE NEW GUY" type of threads, it seems like there could be a lot I need to learn just to get started (what was the .exe that firefox downloaded when I logged in the first time, does EasyUO work with CUO client, does Razor cause trouble for anything associate, etc.).

Anyhow, glad to be back, hoping for some positive interactions, and ways to contribute eventually!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hi my name is joey...I play UO....can I have some free stuff now?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »

Thanks for your introduction, we hope you enjoy all the benefits of the site!

WELCOME!

Offline FranklyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Frankly has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 02:58:51 PM »
Thanks!  I neglected to mention it in my intro, but I'm in absolute awe that these communities have kept going and continue to be so robust after all these years.  Hoping I can help at some point to repay the debt owed to everyone keeping these things running.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
Welcome to SUO! Loved the intro, I played on Cats until LA opened.

Tags: