Author Topic: What to buy with my UO gold  (Read 5231 times)

Offline NewsmanTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
What to buy with my UO gold
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
 I feel I'm going to need more cool new toys...

So I'm thinking the next toy UO should buy me, should be a tv..  My current tv is fine but its not a flat screen and its not hd.  it's just an older medium sized quasar tv that has a good picture and amazing sound.

I'm thinking approximately 40 inches, obviously 1080p.  Any suggestions?  Cost is a factor, but quality matters.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:52:25 PM by Newsman »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy with my UO gold
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
Get a thunderbolt capable projector. ;)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Get a thunderbolt capable projector. ;)
computer could support it... but a tv is more what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:28:13 PM by Newsman »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:54:38 AM »
yeah... the 3d tv seems moot since there are like 4 3d movies and 1st generation 3d tvs will be useless for another 5 years.

As for other stuff, I'm thinking tvs.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
Still my favoritiest gadget is still my Tivo.  Though I am liking my Roku now also.  Amazon Prime streaming on that thing is like free netflix.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
I have a few 3d compatible ps3 games. The games are insane in full 3d. Not to mention the tv has a 2d-3d mode where you can turn everything to 3d. Ive played uo on it, looked better than the 3d client.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
I'm just not convinced 3d is worth it. that kind of money is better spent elsewhere.  I'm thinking "few hundred dollars" rather than "few grand"

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »
I spent alot of moola recently on a 3d TV, receiver coupling that with my PS3.  It's neat, but not really a must have.  I need to try out a 3d game how.   Tron Legacy was really pretty darn cool in 3d however.  That one really leaps out of the screen.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
I paid 899 for my 51 inch plasma 3d tv that is in my avatar. I have killzone 3 and AC: Revelations both of which are 3D compatible. Its insane you find yourself trying touch stuff in the room that is not there.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
How does the Roku work? I see advertisements for it all the time via pop-ups.

What does it do that my PC can't do? Why not just stream off your PC?

You still have to subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon right and pay a monthly?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
It's just an internet streaming gadget.  It streams the ones you mentioned, plus there are a few free channels to choose from.  Lots of local and global new stations.  Also it streams various YouTube videos.  I got it for a song from Woot.com at some time.  I actually have two of these now.  Plus I can't access GBTV without it.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »
It's just an internet streaming gadget.  It streams the ones you mentioned, plus there are a few free channels to choose from.  Lots of local and global new stations.  Also it streams various YouTube videos.  I got it for a song from Woot.com at some time.  I actually have two of these now.  Plus I can't access GBTV without it.  ;)

The UFC channel peaked my interest with the ROKU however that quickly vanished when I found out UFC.tv wants you to pay to watch per fight. What a jip these guys are making millions and still milking it for every penny! If UFC.tv was a monthly fee where I paid $10-$12 and they showed some of the old fights (more recent) then I'd be up for it. The tech/gadget channel looked pretty cool too not sure if that was part of the free channel line up.

With all this streaming hitting the market and hitting the pockets of the big media companies now we're starting to see ISP companies charge by the GB of transferred content. They're gonna get your money one way or another. Get ready for a letter in the mail soon letting you know what your monthly allotment of bandwidth is and the cost associated with exceeding that amount.

Finally with the mention of GBTV TM gives away which side of the fence he's sitting on. ;)

I'm fed up with both sides. >:(

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
Since I've been paying for Prime even before they added all the internet video stuff, the Roku was a perfect fit.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »
I paid 899 for my 51 inch plasma 3d tv that is in my avatar. I have killzone 3 and AC: Revelations both of which are 3D compatible. Its insane you find yourself trying touch stuff in the room that is not there.
still a bit high... I'd prefer not to have to earn 2 billion gold to get a new tv. at that point, its not worth it.  Also, I don't play video games besides UO.

Tags: