Author Topic: 100 vs 110 vs 120 Magic Resist  (Read 9317 times)

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
100 vs 110 vs 120 Magic Resist
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:02:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

I was reading on stratics the formula for resisting spells is (Resist skill - 40) / 3 * 2 rounded down to the nearest whole number. so at 100 resist you have 40 in all 5 resistances, at 110 you have 46 to all resistances, at 115 you have 50 to all resistances and at 120 you have 53 to all resistances. Since I know some of you play Sampires and other types of chars that actually use resist tell me. Is it REALLY worth it to buy that 120 scroll??? On my shard I can buy a 115 scroll for 700k but a 120 scroll is 6M.

The difference between 115 and 120 is only 3 resist. I am not trying to be cheap here (well maybe a  little) just wondering if 5.3M difference in cost is actually worth it.

Thanks!

Toptwo
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: 100 vs 110 vs 120 Magic Resist
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:54:40 AM »
it isn't even worth carrying to gtet 44 resists.  the whole resist spells give u resist is crap now.  because the armor you put on doesn't start going up from the 44 that resist gives you.  you need to get 44 in armor pieces before u even go up past the resisting spells resist.   with 44 you are dead fast from any monster or player.

The nice part of resist 120 is how fast para wears off (lots run boxes though to make it go away) or how fast curses run off instead of longer timers (many use apples instead)

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »
The only reason to run resist is for resistance of poison, mana vampire and paralyze.  120 or nothing for pvp.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
Exactly what OMG Said
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline DeadIssue2

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • DeadIssue2 has no influence.
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
I stopped running Resist on all my PvP chars long ago. Apples, trapped crate from a 30 tinker and your all set, and if your running a chiv, tamer, bokuto char with 4/6 casting you are unstoppable.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
No comment On that template.........
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:11:03 AM »
if your going as a whammy... the armor you will be wearing will put you well at almost an all 70 resist suit anyways. 

Offline ToptwoTopic starter

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
But what if you want to go as a Sampire? I see a some of templets in the sampire discussion thread where players are running with MR of 120. Is it worth it there, or is a whammy really the only way to go now?
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
Sampyres where basically destroyed when they fixed the Double Suit trick.  you may see a few still lingering around, but I had much more success with my Whammy with 1 on 1 combat

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:23:37 AM »
120 Magery beats 115 resist, period. The resist you gain on the suit is nothing compared to what you get against some mage spells and some necro spells too. Like OMG said, if you PVP you need 120 resist. I know plenty of people that get by with the trapped box template, especially in larger field fights where having a straight out offensive template can get you more kills than it does deaths. However, if you are working with smaller numbers, especially when you are outnumbered, forget it. We keep track of who does and doesn't have resist when we fight and those are the first guys to go.

Just my .02.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »
Resist isn't necessary in PvM simply because you can run away and regroup. In PvP you absolutely need maximum resist.

Of course people will say having 100, 110 or 120 is great for PvM, but thats 100+ skill points that I can use for something MUCH more usefull. In PvM the only thing resist really helps out with is para, and you can trap box that.

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
it would be nice to resist poison but hey.. thats why we eat leaves.

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »
120 Magery beats 115 resist, period. The resist you gain on the suit is nothing compared to what you get against some mage spells and some necro spells too. Like OMG said, if you PVP you need 120 resist. I know plenty of people that get by with the trapped box template, especially in larger field fights where having a straight out offensive template can get you more kills than it does deaths. However, if you are working with smaller numbers, especially when you are outnumbered, forget it. We keep track of who does and doesn't have resist when we fight and those are the first guys to go.

Just my .02.

X

Ditto.

My guild couldn't function with 2-3 members fightning against 10+.  Being dismounted, poisoned , mana vamped and paralyze spammed just don't work out with no resist haha.  Slap on 120 resist and I hop off my warhorse and machine gun dismount and spam mirror images like a champ!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:05:07 AM »
Resist spells Ninja Archers FTW, HEY LOOK! I'M A LLAMA!~ ;D
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline SUPERMADMIKE

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • SUPERMADMIKE has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
I know this post is a few weeks old but i'd like to add my two cents if I may.

In my opinion, Magic Resist is good for some shards and dull on others. If you play a osi style shard the magic resist is essential. Now from reading these replies i can tell that most of you disagree but i believe it to be vital in pvp to have 120 resist. I used to magic trap pouches to escape from para's run scripts to heal and cure, but the 120 resist gives you the slight edge over your opponent. The magic trapped pouches hit you too hard for a pvp fight, and the last thing you want yourself to be caught up in is a para gank.
I suppose that I am just a firm believer in grabbing an advantage over the other players no matter how big or small. When it comes down to it those small advantages add up and could be the difference between living and dying, killing or being killed.

Tags: