Author Topic: My 2009 VW Jetta TDI - My love affair turns to hate  (Read 7362 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
My 2009 VW Jetta TDI - My love affair turns to hate
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
I was so happy to have bought this car.  I bought it used on Ebay with only 14K miles on it and have owned it for almost 5 years now.  This has been the 1st car I truly LOVED.  Having visited Germany on many occasions and rented turbo diesels, I loved the combination of the diesel engine and standard transmission.  So I wanted to have that same experience here in the states.

I personally couldn't care less about auto emissions, but I bought the car knowing I'd get stellar gas mileage (which is no joke!) and extraordinary torque.  The car is absolutely amazing to drive.  But these promises were baked into my understanding that the car I'd buy would be able to easily pass VERY strict California emissions compliance.

Then the LIES surface.

After selling these cars for years based upon faulty engineering, software coverups, and corporate arrogance, we TDI owners are now left with cars (in California especially) that can never be legally registered because they will never pass emissions mandates of CARB.  There are fixes being proposed, but frankly none will actually solve the problem without impacting mileage, performance and upholding the promises that were originally made and have been promoted since 2009.

I have never been so shocked by the level of corporate deception than I have by what Volkswagon has done.  I can accept a mistake in data or a faulty mechanical part, but when it comes down to deliberate and deceitful lies, this can never be justified.  How long did they think they could get away with lies of this scale?  How arrogant can a company be to allow something like this to propagate?  Finally, having been exposed to the corporate work ethics of many German companies like I have, I'm even more mystified that this could happen.  I expected much more from my German friends; what Volkswagen allowed to happen is truly capitalism at its worst (and this is coming from someone that appreciates capitalism).

At this point, I don't even trust VW to "fix" the problem.  Since they are so interested in their bottom line, it would make more sense from their perspective to sabotage my car to get it off the road, and how better to do that than by introducing a destructive patch to my ECU.  But they wouldn't do that?  Would they?  Now I'm not so sure.  It sounds pretty conspiratorial to propose that.  However, it sounds just as conspiratorial to propose that a company would try to cheat the world for years because they couldn't live up to their promises, so they decided to cheat and deceive to cover it up.

VW got caught.  But then I started to wonder, how many others are doing similar things.  We'll see.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My 2009 VW Jetta TDI - My love affair turns to hate
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
I dunno... I don't drive.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »

Wow, one of the greatest pleasures of life you're missing out on.  Unless you live in Seattle, then I understand.  Driving there sucks.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
I am sure in the due coarse of time  when  we look back...  it will be revealed that every single company out their is cheating, manipulating and grey zoning in at least one way.

Its  basic  capitalistic practices to look at the short term profits vs  the probability of being caught and the resulting lawsuits/fine damages. 

You have to  wonder how many files/emails etc are being shredded at VW right now so they can just place the blame on a few engineers/coders.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »

Wow, one of the greatest pleasures of life you're missing out on.  Unless you live in Seattle, then I understand.  Driving there sucks.

Meh. To be the cons outweigh the pros. Pros being I can get from A to B faster. Cons being that I have to deal with annoyances while driving, such as other human beings who are also driving.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
Meh. To be the cons outweigh the pros. Pros being I can get from A to B faster. Cons being that I have to deal with annoyances while driving, such as other human beings who are also driving.

That would impact my monthly drive to frolic in Las Vegas Nevada.  :p  I refuse to bike there, or walk or hitchhike.  Interested in your normal mode of transportation.  Camel?  Do you prefer the 1 hump or 2 hump variety?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline addicted

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • addicted has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
... propose that a company would try to cheat the world for years because they couldn't live up to their promises, so they decided to cheat and deceive to cover it up.

imo not because they couldn't live up to their promises but to keep up high as possible the ROI :D

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »

That would impact my monthly drive to frolic in Las Vegas Nevada.  :p  I refuse to bike there, or walk or hitchhike.  Interested in your normal mode of transportation.  Camel?  Do you prefer the 1 hump or 2 hump variety?

I prefer flying for most travel that is greater than a few hour roadtrip.. I have nothing against being a passenger in a vehicle... I just personally hate being the driver, and will do whatever I can to not be it :P

Other than that, I live in a pretty small area with easy access to the beach, and hiking trails in the redwoods, so outside of music festivals (most of which I can walk, hitchhike, or grab a ride with a friend to) that are out of state, I don't really have any problems :P

Granted ofcourse there can be times when driving is a MUST, such as an emergency, and for those times I have access to a vehicle.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Tags: