Author Topic: finduo/searchuo  (Read 16687 times)

Offline jimmyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • jimmy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
finduo/searchuo
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »
I'm interested to learn more about how these guys are working. Seems pretty straight forward:

- Stealther rails through Luna on a circuit while scanning for vendors
- Each vendor is found and contents, prices, descriptions are saved to a file
- At the end of each circuit, the file is uploaded and imported into the webserver db
- Data is available for search via http forms
- Search results are associated with a predetermined link to coordinates on a map of Luna

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: finduo/searchuo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
I'm interested to learn more about how these guys are working. Seems pretty straight forward:

- Stealther rails through Luna on a circuit while scanning for vendors
- Each vendor is found and contents, prices, descriptions are saved to a file
- At the end of each circuit, the file is uploaded and imported into the webserver db
- Data is available for search via http forms
- Search results are associated with a predetermined link to coordinates on a map of Luna

Umm, Yup!

That's pretty much exactly how I did mine originally.  Although I constantly sent data back to the webserver.  Other than that, you pretty much summarized my whole Luna scanner.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline matt

• Activity:
    0%
  • matt has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
I personally love this service that a few peoples provide for the UO community... Thought about doing it myself one day but never had the urge to do it and walaa someone came up with it and did it!  I'm sure the best way to do it would be on a VM w/ multiple accounts running different shards at teh same time... *they may do this already* but its exactly as i had planned to do it at one time a long time ago hehe

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
your whole luna scanner? are you saying you run one of these sites or you have a script for it? i looked in the library but didnt see one

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
your whole luna scanner? are you saying you run one of these sites or you have a script for it? i looked in the library but didnt see one

Yet another unreleased script.  You won't see that one released either at any point.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
Oh, and mine does a complete database of all BOD books found on all venders as well as items.  :p

At one time we were going to start a site like searchuo, but it became evident to me that it would be waaaay more of a pain than it was worth since there's not much payback for owning a site like that.  I'd rather casually run a scripting site (also free) than have to be slave to something that would just frustrate me and gives nothing back.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:54:10 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
is it for sale? lol

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Fusioneer

• Activity:
    0%
  • Fusioneer has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
Since they seem to be listing fewer and fewer actual vendors and pushing what they have for sale themselves, you may want to re-visit the idea as a public service  :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
Since they seem to be listing fewer and fewer actual vendors and pushing what they have for sale themselves, you may want to re-visit the idea as a public service  :)

I think that's a case in point.  It's a pain in the butt to do for free, but there are ways of making a buck at it.  That makes it a bit more interesting for them, but does detract from the "service" that started it.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »
I think thier just are less vendors selling stuff...  But to check you could just compare site to site and see if one has vendors the other doesnt

searchuo.com
finduo.com
ultimacodes.com
uotreasures.com

Yes thiers 4...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline finduo.com

• Activity:
    0%
  • finduo.com has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Hey this is Kevin from finduo.com.  To answer various questions / statements in this thread ...

@Jimmy

"Stealther rails through Luna on a circuit while scanning for vendors"

searchuo has 12 chars he logs into Luna standing at various points, hidden.  They coincide with his 12 "regions" in his vendors section.  war from ultimacodes has a railed guy walking around, used to be called UCSkana or something just like that (standing for ultimacodes scanner character) ... not necessarily the brightest thing you could do (but maybe a step above 'ban me i'm scripting'.  he's been busted enough times that he's running stealthers now (doesn't help him when he's dropping books like crazy from the same chars he scans with).  Personally ... I do something ... can't give away all the secrets hehe (I've actually got enough people hunting me down to thwart my efforts as it is without giving them a gameplan).

"Each vendor is found and contents, prices, descriptions are saved to a file"

I know thats what searchuo does (save files and uploads), don't know what ultimacodes does.  I use the send command, which if you're wanting to emulate lets just say you got to get really creative.  doing a send for each item on 200k items isn't going to work if freshness is important to you, and there's alot of formatting you have to do to the URL so that special characters don't break your string.

"Search results are associated with a predetermined link to coordinates on a map of Luna"

searchuo uses some php graphic overlays taking preexisting image and merging it with a graphic crosshairs for the end result, with the crosshairs getting merged based on url variables for x and y coords.  personally i don't like the idea of having to reload a page for a map every time you want to see where a vendor is, thats why I came up with flash mapping.  basically just use javascript and ajax to communicate with the flash mapping to show where everything is at the same time.

@Endless Night ...

There's just 3.  UOTreasures is actually just Mark from searchuo.  His old web designer made him think that stuffing google with as many pages as possible is a good idea for rankings (which actually it is).  While I've been working on the next version of finduo, he's just been stuffing google with pages.  All of uotreasures is searchuo data regurgitated, its not any more pleantiful, accurate or more-often-updated than searchuo's.

@Fusioneer ... "Since they seem to be listing fewer and fewer actual vendors and pushing what they have for sale themselves, you may want to re-visit the idea as a public service"

Anyone wants to do what it takes to offer a search entirely free, more power to them.  That wasn't an option for me. 
I've spent alot of 60 hour weeks programming, been doing it for the last 6 months (for the next version of finduo coming out in November).  To anyone who thinks I'm getting rich at it ... (chuckles).  I love UO.  Finduo inspires me to sharpen my skills.  Before I did this, I used to design real estate search engines and I made more in 1 month doing that than I've made with finduo all year, very stress filled though.  I moved to the Philippines last March, my living expenses dropped drastically (can live off $250 a month just fine) and finduo covers my bills.  Its a huge responsibility, not much less different than having a kid.  I just told my fiancee that when we get married in December "Sorry we can't go to Samal island, there's no internet there so I can't keep an eye on finduo".  Certainly not getting rich off it, if that were my goal I would never have started.  Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about what little I make, I love it and wouldn't trade it for a 150k job in California.  In regards to less vendors comment, we expanded shortly after I moved (sometime in April I think) to the greater Luna area, quadrupling our search area.  In november I'm introducing Tokuno (again doubling the search area).

The November release of finduo going to be ten times better than the old finduo.  The mapping is alot better (you can zoom now, and it swaps between shards, luna and tokuno instantly).  Up until now finduo has had about 2500 images of items, the next version has over 30,000 images and 30,000 mini icons.  The results are better, when something is in a container I show a pic of the container its in, just on and on all the improvements.  I now store all data into infinity, I will show what items were sold, you will be able to track trends in UO item sales, see the larges volume shards for sales, etc.

If you're planning on doing something for UO for fun, have at it!  If you're planning on making a bunch of money off it, after everything is said and done you might have made more money flipping burgers at McDonalds, but at least you will have had fun while doing it.

everyone check out Finduo Search Ultima Online Vendors come early next month there will be many new changes!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
I've got your linky up in the LINKS category.  Thanks for the info!

Philippines, eh?  Enjoy the balut!  My girlfriend was born and raised there; her Mom still tries to get me to eat some of the stranger stuff there.  Yikes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:48:45 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
I love Philippine food

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
Thanks for the info finuo  very infromative... and i must say i am 100% jealous of your lifestyle... id love to make something like that work and have been scanning the planet looking for a simular senario myself..... unfortunately my other 1/2 is from cuba and well castro's regime is just not over yet and my spanish just isnt really upto par...... otherwise id be thier altready

Didnt realise searchuo and uotreasures was same data back end.. the front end on uotreasures is much superior to searchuo for sure... no back page flipping on searchuo very annoying.

Although i carnt use your site as i get a adobe pdf error,  I "know" my adobe web viewer is buggered... Clicking ok resolves it but have to do that on every page refresh annoying ...  one day ill fix it im sure.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: