2 (22.2%)
No
6 (66.7%)
Better Options
0 (0%)
Undecided
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Forum Updates  (Read 9939 times)

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Forum Updates
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
So SUO has been with SMF Forum since the beginning of SUO.  Since there are other options out there I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on us moving Forum backend from SMF to Xenforo.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
We didn't have an update few years ago, when we were able to add colour in out code.

I have no idea with one is the best, The easier for you will be the best for us.  we can adapt to the new face :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »
From a users perspective, I was never a fan of Xenforo.  I can't speak toward admin in Xenforo.  But I can nearly always tell when I'm using a Xenforo site.  Such a basic user experience.

VBulletin is terrible - that I have more experience with and hated every moment of it.

I dunno, resurrecting all the functions and features we have now will take a huge amount of time.  I know I worked for nearly 2 weeks on and off to get the EasyUO code highlighting working correctly. (if you look at the code highlighting on EasyUO, they never got it right - phpBB)

There's something to be said about once you get something up and running that it doesn't give you any headaches for years.  Just say'in.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:39:02 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
From a users perspective, I was never a fan of Xenforo.  I can't speak toward admin in Xenforo.  But I can nearly always tell when I'm using a Xenforo site.  Such a basic user experience.

VBulletin is terrible - that I have more experience with and hated every moment of it.

I dunno, resurrecting all the functions and features we have now will take a huge amount of time.  I know I worked for nearly 2 weeks on and off to get the EasyUO code highlighting working correctly. (if you look at the code highlighting on EasyUO, they never got it right - phpBB)

There's something to be said about once you get something up and running that it doesn't give you any headaches for years.  Just say'in.

That is why i put a poll out there :)
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
There are quite a few things I don't like about SMF but then I am use to it here so it would be kind of odd using something else. I like Xenforo but would hate to lose things like the rep and shout box. I would say leave it as is.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
If it aint broke dont fix it....    I like the current platform,  no idea if i have used the other one.   Would changing platforms make it easier to manage add new features or have other benefits ??    If it doesn't come with some amazing newness I would reamin as we are.      For kicks and giggles you could always do a dummy install of the platform and just see now easy porting everything would be.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 12:24:18 AM »

I really liked using vbulletin with the last site I ran (a decade now ago?) - lots of customization, but that was also in 2009 lol. I was able to add a lot of cool stuff, but I know the internet has changed a lot since then.  i don't think it's worth the money these days.

Personally, I think SUO is fine how it is - a redesign/change of platform isn't going to attract a ton of new users because nobody really cares about UO anymore. Why change things up when scriptuo works fine as it is?

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
+1
Thanks for the replies everyone!  One reason was because of the Discord Webhooks and other webhooks.  I was able to get something to work for SMF.  So now every new member and post gets put into a discord channel! 

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 05:09:20 AM »
.....nobody really cares about UO anymore.....

This is a very sad but true statement.  For SUO, I look back at the site traffic in the hayday of SUO, and I can't believe how much traffic we got.  We get 1/10th of that now.  :(
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cush

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cush has no influence.
  • Respect: +42
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
I appreciate every persons hard work and contributions to this forum.

I think whatever is easiest for you all to manage is just fine. I will figure it out one way or another in time :-) or ask a ton of questions like a noob after reading through it all. lol

Tags: xenforo