Author Topic: XBMC  (Read 16362 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: XBMC
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
I bought a new Ouya last week.  It's a medocre gaming device, but the XBMC build for it is REALLY good.  For $99, it makes a really good steaming device.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
I just started playing with XBMC on a rooted Nexus 7 - works great!
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
I just started playing with XBMC on a rooted Nexus 7 - works great!

Yes, android basis and typically faster processors makes it run buttery smooth!

I haven't really felt the need to root my Nexus 7.  Am I missing out on something?  Now the story is different with my rooted Rezound.  I wubs wireless tether!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
I have a Galaxy S4 Active that should be showing up tomorrow! Going to put the Google Edition ROM on it instead of Samsung's crappy TouchWiz.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
I have a Galaxy S4 Active that should be showing up tomorrow! Going to put the Google Edition ROM on it instead of Samsung's crappy TouchWiz.

Showoff.. ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
I haven't really felt the need to root my Nexus 7.  Am I missing out on something?  Now the story is different with my rooted Rezound.  I wubs wireless tether!
To be honest I haven't had much time to play. I have a Nexus 7 32 GB that hasn't been rooted and I haven't bothered looking into rooting it since I'm just too damn busy (daughter in the hospital recovering from spinal fusion surgery right now) and it does everything I want it to do as it is.

I have a second Nexus 7 32 that has been rooted which I bought off Craigslist (it's actually my son's, he saved allowance, etc for a Nabi and I decided to get him a Nexus instead).

The custom ROM's available for a rooted Android device typically give access to many more features including performance boosting by giving you the ability to tweak (overclocking, etc). Also custom themes, backup functions, etc. My guess is that I'll probably spend some time getting up to speed over the summer while my daughter is recovering (I have taken every Thursday off until September).

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

Showoff.. ;)

Got it today and LOVE IT! I haven't rooted it yet but I did switch to Nova Launcher instead of TouchWiz. We'll see how long I can stand the Samsung dialer/settings apps. Otherwise, putting the GE ROM on it!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »
Yeh, I'm all over the new Samsung S4.  This will be my first non-HTC phone in years.  My problem now is now that I've rooted my Rezound, I just love the crap out of it.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
Yeh, I'm all over the new Samsung S4.  This will be my first non-HTC phone in years.  My problem now is now that I've rooted my Rezound, I just love the crap out of it.

I am thinking of trying the Samsung S4 when I renew my contract, if Sprint carries it that is. I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S, think they also call it the Epic.

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
my htpc is a 2011 mac mini.  1.5 TB internal space.  silent.  more than capable of handling anything.  and I use my iphone as a remote control half the time because im too lazy to find the remote.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
Mac mini = $600.00
Rasp Pi = $35.00
And at $99, the Ouya is a great way to to. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »
And there are some nice ones similar to the RPi with faster processors and different stuff for sub-$100 prices. Not nearly as much support available for them as the RPi, but nice if you need something a little more powerful!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
Yes, the RPi did break open the flood gates of new cool gadgets!   YAY
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
BTW, if you're looking for a really cheap way to implement XBMC, the Ouya has come a long way.  The XBMC implementation was kinda "iffy" for a bit.  I couldn't stream 1080p very well and crashed all the time.  However, the latest version of XBMC that is also found on their marketplace fixes just about every grip I had.  It's WAAAY more responsive than the RaspPi for just about everything.  Couple with a wireless keyboard/mouse and you have a really good media server. 

It still has problems with surround sound due to licensing issues, but there is another project that fixes this.  So for $99 (less when on sale) this piece of hardware works really well for me now.

http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/dp/B0050SZD18
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: