Author Topic: File Magic (Corrupt File Recovery)  (Read 5727 times)

Offline KaliOfLSTopic starter

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
File Magic (Corrupt File Recovery)
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
+1
So, I have to stick it to the man.  I mean, I have to prove that my landlord is trying to screw me because they flooded my apartment and are trying to claim cat urine has forced them to change the carpet.

I have video of the standing water in our bathroom, but I am having enormous problems trying to recover it.  It is about 120 mb aparently.  Seems to big for a one minute video.  I can play the video and it will crash at 22 seconds.  If I click past that, it will play out (only if I click past it before the file freezes on it).  I have tried to just transfer it onto my computer (it's on a microSD card) and I've tried 2 computers.  I've tried sending it from the phone through gdrive, but it won't upload. 

I am currently trying to import it into a video splicer and splice out the corrupt portion.  Anyone have any other ideas on how I might recover this file to make it stable and a simple playable file?
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: File Magic (Corrupt File Recovery)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »
+1
You might actually try to run it through Handbrake and transcode it to something else.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline savestheyday

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • savestheyday has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
+1
I can't help with the file recovery, but I have had some experience with many sleazy landlords in the past.

Was this incident recent?  Is there any mold?  Was any of your personal property damaged (on video)?  Do you have renters insurance?  Are they threatening your deposit, or wanting funds from you directly?  Does your lease allow pets?

It's easy for me to be biased and say "get a lawyer," because my wife is one, but if the dollar amounts are creeping up it may be worth it.  Usually a formal letter with a BAR number listed at the bottom is enough to make the smart sleaze balls back peddle.  The dumb ones who still think they can pull some quick easy fraud often find they've opened a can of worms they were not prepared for.

You don't have to reply if you aren't comfortable, I just want you to keep in mind going into this that the landlord is not nearly as powerful as society places them (ask any landlord who has had nightmare tenants just how helpless they are!), so don't give them an inch!  Just stick to your guns, and make sure you are constantly taking pictures.

/rant

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »
+1
Thanks for a fresh idea TM.  I'm going to try it tonight.  My video splicer wasn't able to manipulate the file. I loaded it into the buffer stream but it glitched as soon as I tried to snip it.  I didn't try again yet, I was too tired last night.

savestheday:

Breifly, fixed term lease with clause indicating 60 day notice to quit policy even on lease termination.  If you fail to do so, you will be charged two months rent or optionally sign a month to month lease (pay one month plus $100 mo to mo fee). 
After vacating, was billed $1,500 for replacing the carpet due to cat urine (at that rate, would be whole apartment).
Charged $275 dollars for painting due to nail holes (picture nails, the little guys).

Iowa has 'normal wear and tear' laws, which after two years should negate any painting fees.

Apartment flooded for two weeks while out of state.  Came home, stunk, they vacuumed it out, but had to come three days later to redo it.  Have pics of drying fans in apartment under carpets and have pictures of really wet/dirty/moldy base boards of bedroom where flood initiated. 

Apartment flooded from above by tub after ex-maintenance man 'fixed' our leak report (it was leaking days earlier, we notified landlord).  That same night he fixed it, tenant above us took a bath and flooded our bathroom.  We had an inch of water in our bathroom.  Emergency maintenance did not come that night, came next day.  Water flooded into hallway and bedroom.  We have several pictures of damaged ceilings, dirty bathroom (which we had to clean), a this video of her trapsing around in the inch of water in the bathroom showing the damage. 

I live in the same complex, I have had two floods already in my bedroom from the AC unit apparently building up condensate and not having any place to flow. 
Cockroaches which I have pictures of. 

Crazy day, I was sitting there, taking a *bleep* one morning, and I see this little *bleep* cock roachy little beetly thing and I smashed that bastard into oblivion.  I couldn't investigate what it was after the massacre.  Same afternoon I had a 'routine pest inspection' notification that they were checking units.  I immediately emailed saying how fishy I thought it was that I found a little bug that looked like a roach in my apartment that same day.  She said it was just routine but to let her know if I see something.  One month later, I found a full blown roach and took a picture and sent it to her by email in the same thread.  And then I have another one a month later, a picture, and notified her.  She still hasn't really contracted anyone, but the pest guy came every time and laid bait traps.  But that was it.  I know there is an infestation around me or in my apartment, but they some sneaky bitches.  Not like the last ones I had. 

So yeah, needless to say, these bitches have a whirlwind of *bleep* getting blasted back at them.  I don't think they are expecting it.  Not the evidence that we have compiled against them.  I totally lawyered up. 
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »
+1
You might actually try to run it through Handbrake and transcode it to something else.

You're an absolute genius.  Thanks TM.  It worked.
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
+1

You're an absolute genius.  Thanks TM.  It worked.

Heh, well even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.  :)  Glad it worked out.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: