Author Topic: probably a question for Trailmyx  (Read 3383 times)

Offline mattTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • matt has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
probably a question for Trailmyx
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Hello sir, first of all id like to post my absolute jelousy and otherwise elitest amount of gratitude to you for your sharing of your elite skillz you have for all the stuff... I've never ever wrote a script myself and would actually like to learn how and possibly someday be able to write my own scripts....... I was wondering if you would take on an absolute newbie at scripting and attempt to teach the ropes a lil in this awesome language we all call scripting?  I'll check back regularyly and await egerly for your reply

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: probably a question for Trailmyx
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
Hi matt, I think I remember you from uocoders.

Anyhow, we've been kinda handling the tutorials a bit differently.  So it puts more of the burden for learning on your shoulders.  But what I'm talking about is actually attacking a script or an idea for a script yourself first.  When you fall in a hole and need information, we are here and available for you to ask questions. 

Still one of the best ways to learn is to find a few basic scripts out there and just try and understand what they are doing.  Scripting is unique because you definitely see a cause and effect since your character starts doing all those things you normally do by hand.  So the trick is then to just find out what the commands mean and how to utilize them to perform your task.

You won't see many tutorials from me, but we'll certainly answer whatever questions you come up with.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
And RTFM. The docs on Easyuo.com are actually quite thorough, enough to get you going. If you have any kind of previous scripting/programming experience, it will help. You should learn some of the basics of procedural programming, such as conditionals, variables, arrays, loops, scope, etc. Once you get those basics down, things become much easier. Armed with the manual and some well designed scripts (such as TM's), oh, and a little can-do attitude, you'll be off and running in no time. A great thing about scripts and the ability to look at the code is "code reuse" (be sure to credit the original author).

/gC

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
Ya, I'm really a big fan of RTFM.  gC is correct that EasyUO has some pretty good help available these days.  Their Wiki is actually pretty useful; I reference it from within my ScriptUO application.

But scripting in UO is great because you are never without an idea for something to do.  And generally, someone out there has already done what you've got in mind or something like it, so the best thing is to track that code down and see what they did. 

Suppose a script does what you want, but you want to expand upon it.  Why not?  You just have to dig in and start scripting.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline mattTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • matt has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
Ok, thx guys ill head over to there and read the tutorial and work on basics first.  I got all kinds of ideas lol... a lot of which im hoping on learning how to speed things up in different ones.. although most of its probably due to ping.

Tags: