Author Topic: The State of the Scripts  (Read 6104 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
The State of the Scripts
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:38:22 AM »
This might be a little soap boxish...

I've noticed a decline in the amount of scripts being published and supported here at ScriptUO as well as over at EasyUO.

I attribute this to one factor:

[XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%

I know there are some here who kiss Cheffe g'nite... they may want to cover their ears.

He's a prick. Pure and simple. Don't even post about what he's done for the UO community here... if it wasn't him it would have been someone else, and honestly we probably would have been better off.

He went off about his new project several months ago and shut down EUOx completely. He tried to force people to convert over to his half-assed new system. When he was shown what a piece of crap it was (in it's current state) he reluctantly stepped back and began patching EUOx again. When all that happened he promised a time line of how he was progressing with OEUO. That 20% has been there since it was posted on October 16th, 2010. We're approaching 4 months with NO progress on the project he tried to FORCE us to use.
Quote from: Cheffe
The idea is that within a month, everything is finished and ready for wide-scale adoption.
Now that I've said that.... what are WE doing?

I only see a couple people working on new projects. This includes tease-ware and a few other projects. I've also seen a lot of "I will no longer support this script because of the upcoming OEUO transition". <- that line there kinda ticks me off. Why not support it? Especially now that you've seen OEUO isn't progressing at all and there's absolutely NO ETRO for it.

I think people are in a funk. They don't want to write something that they think will be obsolete at any time (LOL I bet we start 2012 with EUOx, any takers?) and they won't write in OEUO cause it's poop. Well, I just want to say regardless of what else happens, get outta that funk! OEUO is a great dream and it will be awesome when it is finished and bug fixed. In the meantime lets continue to keep the UO scripting community alive by producing/testing/releasing scripts using the current format. Remember, one of Cheffe's conditions to releasing OEUO is that there will be a conversion available to run the vast library of EUOx scripts.

So write away scripters, and please don't take that "I will no longer support this" attitude. Lets get rolling on some projects to make UO enjoyable.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Scrripty

Re: The State of the Scripts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »
Ya.  Ya slackers.  By the way, I wrote a script, that wins UO in about an hour.  It only has one button, and a cool menu.  I'll release it in about 2 weeks.  I promise.  Here's a timeline of my progress.

[CervezalovesCheffe=====>50%                                  ]

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:45:47 AM »
I have totaly seen the halt of many scripters due to this wait and see.  I was a wait and see until it passed two months and I started to write teh crabber and now a fishing script that has not been released but still writing new stuff.  I know Twinkle McNugget is still writing too.  It is a shame that many have fallen into a funk waiting for a too that was said to be on the path for adoption quite some time ago.  At some point you just have to say screw it and write some stuff in easy uo 1.5.  The last post I read from Cheefe mentioned that he would try to integreate 1.5 into the new system and I think he was basically saying that would become the converter in so many words.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »
Ya.  Ya slackers.  By the way, I wrote a script, that wins UO in about an hour.  It only has one button, and a cool menu.  I'll release it in about 2 weeks.  I promise.  Here's a timeline of my progress.

[CervezalovesCheffe=====>50%                                  ]

[CervezalovesCheffe=====>50%]   <-- nice!  :P   

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:48:36 AM »
Hey Twinkle McNugget, roll over and ask Cheffe whats taking so long.

;)
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Scrripty

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:52:37 AM »
Hey Twinkle McNugget, roll over and ask Cheffe whats taking so long.

;)

Don't even try, if Cheffe stopped in front of you too fast your nose would be brown. heh

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:29 AM »
This is getting good!    ;D  You guys are going to make spit coffee out of my nose.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »
I was one of the active people who were negatively impacted by the OEUO fiasco. I was already losing interest in the game, trying to keep up with all the new content while actually having a life was already frustrating. Then the OEUO stuff came about and I literally lost all desire to participate in the game anymore. It's tough to want to keep up with scripts when I'm so disinterested in the game. I decided that any new language I would be learning would either be a) applicable to my career path or b) make me able to talk to the smokin hot Hungarian women that clean our offices at night but speak little English. OEUO would not be in my immediate future.

On the other hand, I've never lost interest in this community thus I've been able to maintain at least a foot in the door. Ultimately I will be back in full swing, other games I've been playing (WoW, TF2, L4D2, etc) have rapidly dropped to the wayside one by one. I've started getting interested in my script library and talking about templates again. I'm pretty confident this will eventually be the catayst to getting me back in the saddle, so to speak...although I still think I'd like to learn a little Hungarian...

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »
I knew a couple things you guys have been forgetting.  There's still a lot of people on that site that use EUO including some of the old timers.  I found it hard to believe that Cheffe would leave them out in the cold, so I had no problem either way it went.  EUO, OpenEUO, doesn't matter to me, I'll learn both, cause I'm tenacious like that.  You guys that haven't taken the time to learn a bit about OpenEUO are missing out too, because the difference is ALREADY night and day in usage.  It's a FAR cry better than EUO even in it's unfinished state.  I've been able to do some amazing things with it.  I'd liken it to a painter trying to recreate the Mona Lisa with a jet engine and a bucket of paint, then someone giving him a paint brush. :)  It's that much better already.  I thought I was pretty good at timing things in EUO, then OpenEUO opened up a whole new world of being able to time things so tight it's just incredible...  I've thought about things in EUO that I just didn't think would be that feasible, like, pvp bots for a pvp bot contest.  You can make them sure, but they can only be so good...  With EUO it would be next to impossible to make a GOOD pvp bot.  With OpenEUO I believe I could make one that could take out some of the best pvpers in pvp.  By itself.  No intervention from the user... heh  That's just nuts.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »
I think some of you are missing Cerveza's point.  Because of the uncertainty, people have stopped scripting, PERIOD.  (Myself included.)  I'm not going to invest the time into something that's going to be put to pasture (EUO).  Also, I'm not going to spend any more time on OEUO until it's more stable.  My OEUO version of the CLAw is AMAZING, but unusable due to the instabilities.  And for that, I can't and haven't spent any more time on OEUO.  It's fine for quick scripts, but for those of us who push the limits, it's not worth wasting time on until its done right.  OEUO might be cool and powerful, but it's just unusable for the masses and unreliable for us scripters.

Frankly, I wish I hadn't wasted my time on OEUO, or at least until it was more polished.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:04:58 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
One day, openEUO and EUO will be gone.  Just like the rest of us.  I'm not gonna waste time worrying about when that happens.  I'm gonna have my fun now while I can. ;)  You should trust me on this, I have a unique perspective where it's concerned.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
Well, I'm in the Rift Beta Group, so I'm off to another diversion with hopes that Cheffe can finally get things straitened out.

RIFT
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
That's exactly what I'm trying to convey.

When people thought the end of EUOx was upon us, they did the right thing at the time and started to learn OEUO. The problem was that Cheffe wasn't even close to being ready with OEUO and when long time scripters began using it they started running into problems at every turn. I think it overwhelmed Cheffe who thought he was close to stable with it. I think he realized what a huge mistake he'd made in forcing the change without a SOLID replacement being available. That's why he took a step back.

Meantime, he alienated a good portion of scripters. The same mood that TM is in has spread throughout the scripting community.

I want to bring this to the attention of the scripters here that OEUO may not EVER be brought up. Keep on scripting and supporting your EUOx scripts!!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
that was the deal with me and the crabber.  i got sick of telling people that i was waiting for oeuo and decided to get moving.  Great script and great results.  I now have all the crab i have ever wanted and 100's of others are happy using this to make the fishing life more enjoyable.  I could not have all these resources and still wouldn't of had them for months, being generous on the time line, if i sat on my ass waiting.  It gets really hard to get going agin the more you wait.  I almost stopped playing completely and scripting completely.  it was write the crabber or hit a funk.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
Cerveza, you have inspired me!  I'll put the NGFS into the list/tab subs this weekend.  :)

Gotta do something during the gawd-awefull superbowl.  I normally goto CostCo during that time; nobody there so I get all the kitty litter.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: