Author Topic: Visual C++ Runtime Error anyone?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Visual C++ Runtime Error anyone?
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »
Howdy -

Just finished building a Windows XP SP3 VM using MS Virtual Workstation 2007 (Windows XP happens to be the .VHD I have on hand). Just a base install of XP with SP3, IE8, and all current security patches.

When I run Ultima Online it has to start by going through the full patch download process as this is a vanilla instance. When running the patcher I can't make it any further than part way through anim.mul before it crashes with:

Code: [Select]
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Games\UO\Client\UO.bin

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I suspect that I could eventually figure out WTF is going on but if anyone here has ever run into that it would sure be helpful to know what the resolution was.

Oh, and when I say "vanilla" I mean no virus scanning, no malware scanning, no firewall, no nothing running at all! I'm just trying to build an image.

Thanks!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
Re: Visual C++ Runtime Error anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:38:23 AM »
Hmmm...running it again and now I'm up to 3 of those errors on the screen at the same time but the patcher hasn't quit yet so I'm leaving them alone. Let's see how far it goes this time.

Oops, there goes - 5 errors and shut down...grrrr....

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »
I'm using VirtuallBox mostly these days without any of those issues.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
I've had patcher problems like that before on a computer. I had to make a zipped version of the whole folder on a dif computer it did fine and just move the thing and unzip on every patch for that computer. I couldn't get past it.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
I've had patcher problems like that before on a computer. I had to make a zipped version of the whole folder on a dif computer it did fine and just move the thing and unzip on every patch for that computer. I couldn't get past it.
Funny, I was just coming in to report that this is exactly what I ended up doing, I just dragged the entire UO folder over to the VM.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm using VirtuallBox mostly these days without any of those issues.
virtualbox is not bad for being free, but the vmware player is also free and offers some better graphical performance.
Microsoft Virtualisation before Hyper V\XPMode is just worse :(

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
I'm a big fan of VMware Player, just using MS because I happened to have a Windows XP vhd on this computer. Will probably set Player back up next week when I have time to create a new Windows 7 vmdk

We're having really good luck with Hyper-V nowadays, I'm not running it in 2012 yet, just 2008R2 but it's solid as a rock so far. Been able to convert vhd to vmdk and vmdk to vhd without issues as well.

Tags: