Author Topic: White Pearl Question...  (Read 6809 times)

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
White Pearl Question...
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
I'm doing fishing for the first time and wondering how to max out my chances at white pearls.  As far as I understand it 80.0 Fishing or more gives a chance at a white pearl & being and Elf increases that chance.  Does the chance of a white pearl dropping increase the higher your fishing skill goes?  What else can I do to increase the number of pearls dropping?  I'm at like 83 fishing currently and have yet to fish up a serpent (do these not spawn in some location?) so I imagine spending less time fighting those and more time fishing would increase pearls too.  Hmm... perhaps there's a way to decrease the time each cast takes ?  or to use multiple poles & casts maybe ?

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: White Pearl Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
The higher over 80% skill, the better your chance for getting a White Pearl.  Some people say that if you wear Luck Pieces, then you have an even better chance, the higher your Luck is.  It seems though that the Luck feature or Chance Roll is broken and has not been fixed yet.

As far as Serpents, you won't see one until you reach 90% and those will only have Level One Treasure Maps on them.  At 100 or GM, you will start encountering Serpents with Waterstained SOS Bottles and of those 1 in 25 will be an Ancient SOS.

ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »
OK thx for the info...  Hmm... what do ya think 84 ---> 100 Fishing...   If I fish solid and as fast as I can maybe 40 hours?  I'm gaining about 0.5 / hour at 83 Skill currently so it depends how much the gains drop off I guess...

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »
Kinda depends if you want to dispatch sea serpents.  If you want to to just farm pearls, then you'll want to goto 89.9.  If you want to farm the rest, but also have to wack serpents, then 100.0.  The higher your skill, the better chance is the loot pull will be an item, and not a fish or shoe.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »
The higher your skill, the better chance is the loot pull will be an item, and not a fish or shoe.
  Well my only goal is the farm pearls for when SA comes out....  so with that in mind

Which is better..

1) 89.9 Fishing (won't bring up Serps)

OR

2) 100 Fishing (fishes up Serps, but just deal with them as fast as possible.)

I can probably kill a Serpent with 2 ebolts 100% of the time with my current suit so I think 100 Fishing would be the way to go..

What do you all think ?

PS...   Can you farm up Serpents near serverlines?  a guildmate said you can only get them in deepwater & that next to a serverline wasn't considered Deep.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »
The higher your skill, the better chance is the loot pull will be an item, and not a fish or shoe.
PS...   Can you farm up Serpents near serverlines?  a guildmate said you can only get them in deepwater & that next to a serverline wasn't considered Deep.

I'm fairly sure that your guildmate is correct. Fish down serverlines and you should be ok.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
Yes you could work along a server line and get only pearls and no serps, of course this also means no ASOS either.

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Ah I remember the early days of testing the FAF.  I would regularly have stack after stack of 100 count pearls for sale. I was up into mega millions when I left.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:53:46 AM »
Do they have fishing on that odd shard you play, BW?
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 05:44:43 AM »
Oh aye. Problem is that there are so few people playing the GM's/Dev's/Admins/Owner (etc, etc..) typically cycle through all the players on at any given time check for afk resource macroers (skill gain macroing is allowed).

Also there is a problem with the fisherman. On OSI/EA shards you can run a serp corpse up onto the boat for looting, which the Auto Fisher does, but on Allure the boat stops when it collides with the serp corpse.

Oh and there are also no white pearls here. :'(
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Tags: