Author Topic: What has kept you with UO?  (Read 10332 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
What has kept you with UO?
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
I was thinking about this today, and thought I wanted to ask ya'll. 

I find myself coming back to UO each time for some reason.  Script writing does tend to be a big reason why I return, but there still is something else to it I believe.  I remember the first time I left to persue the Everquest beta, I thought I would sell my UO account and never return.  I'm glad I didn't sell out since after that point I knew that every other game would be a general diversion before my ultimate return.  Having played sooo many other MMORPGs, I can safely assert that UO is STILL the most complete world out there and also the most complex as far as player content and economy.

Also, there's no other game out there that I could have introduced my RL Mother to and have it "stick".  I gave the renaissance disk to my Mom back in 2000 as a joke really.  I had no idea that it would stick and she'd still be playing to this very day.  Now if I can get Mom to be a contributor to the site.  lol, that'll be the day.

TM
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Hardyz

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Hardyz has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What has kept you with UO?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »
I only keep uo because ever since my account turned 2 years old like 5 years ago I haven't had the heart to cancel it

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
Heh, I can relate to both of you (excepting the Mom part).

The biggest reason for me is the inability to let it go as just a game. It took so much work to build what I've built up in the game and it has a real-life, psychological value even though it has next to zero monetary value.

The people would be another reason, there are a few in particular (between the guild I've been in for five years and some of you I met through Coders) I would miss talking to in Vent or working together with on game related "projects". Definitely not my primary source of socializing by any means but there are still relationships there even though they are virtual.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »
Heh, I can relate to both of you (excepting the Mom part).

The biggest reason for me is the inability to let it go as just a game. It took so much work to build what I've built up in the game and it has a real-life, psychological value even though it has next to zero monetary value.

The people would be another reason, there are a few in particular (between the guild I've been in for five years and some of you I met through Coders) I would miss talking to in Vent or working together with on game related "projects". Definitely not my primary source of socializing by any means but there are still relationships there even though they are virtual.

X

I understand you for sure.  I probably would have just left things to rot if it wasn't for some of the really cool people that surfaced over at coders and even before at winuo.

But with UO, I guess it never really forced me to do anything, so it's always been comfortable to come back to.  AOS was a difficult pill to swallow due to how it greatly changed the game and the items involved.  I dearly miss the days when the game was more about skill instead of how much cash one has to put into their uber-suit.  However, I also really do enjoy the layers of the game that were added because of this.  So I love/hate AOS content.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:39:28 PM »
Ok, so what keeps me, I had a 6 month break awhile back, about a year and a half ago. That was after a year or so playing with my girlfriend, we tried to quit, but, well, the game has what atleast, I like in a game, with the banking, housing, characters and skills and such. Been about 10 years playing, started with my brother, been in a few quilds, different types, and yes, AOS was rough for me too. Skills before cash/speed/hack, I miss those days. I ran around with 80s max, and I could take on 3 people with GM skills in almost all 7 categories, and I'd come out on top. Also, at beginning of speed hacks, I could still take them out cause I "played" better. Anyways, it's a nice way to waste time, it's my entertainment, I can sit and craft, do bods.. or I can go out and take on some monsters and such. I just miss peerless right now.. guildless and all, but I'll find a way to solo it eventually.

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »
Well at least u fellas had the oppurtunity to play in those days... I was a kid at the time UO came out and my parents didnt wanna purchase internet and 10$ a month seemed like way too much for my parents to play a game, luckily my friend who lived in my street had the game, but unfortunately his parents decided to pull the plug on it after 3 months. Since then i always missed UO, cos i really believed that was the game of my life at the time. Now 2 years back i got my own creditcard and first thing i did with my creditcard was get UO ;) True story. I remember the days where me and my friend would take turns on manual mining (without even using ingame macro people!! => so double click shovel, double click mountain, ...) and love doing it. I remember the passage tru the mountains southwest of britain full of miners and people with packhorses, and all running scared at the sight of an ogre or a Red. Oh man and doing this little trips to the blacksmiths negotiating prices with them... *drewls all over the keyboard* .... Thats what i miss the most thou, is that we couldnt leave town without running our pants off hehe.
So i guess thats what kept me with UO, just the fact that i missed enough of it, and catching up for old times sake ;)
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »
Not to bring the mood down or anything. But, well, as I mentioned earlier, my lil bro got me into this game. He's 6 years younger then me. This game now means a bit more to me. This morning, i got a call from my dad saying my brother passed away. Last week he'd had fallen in the tube and got to big bumps on his head, there was a MRI scheduled today, he was also bi-polar on on different meds. Anyways, I just wanted a place to write a little and say, now, not sure if I can stop playing. I missed the days were we would go to orc fort, two of us with junky fencer type characters. We'd both drop an EV from a scroll and then proceed to kill the people, we took on groups of 4-8 people like this, always came out on top. He got me into pk'n and got me to where I could take on 3-4 peeps by myself. He tought someone to pvp on a shard (Ho Chi Minh - Great Lakes) and when that dude became known as a murderer (speed hacking and ran circles around people) I could still drop his speed hacking arse. So, this is to those little things that keep us playing. Here's to Pre-AOS, 1 land (before felucca/trammel) and those that got us into the game or those that keep playing it.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 05:37:14 AM »
OMG Nicar, I'm so sorry to hear about your little brother. That is a terrible tragedy.

My prayers go out to you and your family.

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »
Thanks man, he'll always be with me, as I play uo, drink a beer, anything  :)  I guess I'll have to make a pvper in his memory.. just not sure how good a macer carring a waraxe can be  :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »
Wow, Nicar.  I'm shocked and saddened to hear of your loss.  I offer you my most sincere condolences.

Well, it sounds for sure like you had some great memories from UO with your little bother and it might be a good way to keep his memory.  It's something I would do too.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
Not to bring the mood down or anything. But, well, as I mentioned earlier, my lil bro got me into this game. He's 6 years younger then me. This game now means a bit more to me. This morning, i got a call from my dad saying my brother passed away. Last week he'd had fallen in the tube and got to big bumps on his head, there was a MRI scheduled today, he was also bi-polar on on different meds. Anyways, I just wanted a place to write a little and say, now, not sure if I can stop playing. I missed the days were we would go to orc fort, two of us with junky fencer type characters. We'd both drop an EV from a scroll and then proceed to kill the people, we took on groups of 4-8 people like this, always came out on top. He got me into pk'n and got me to where I could take on 3-4 peeps by myself. He tought someone to pvp on a shard (Ho Chi Minh - Great Lakes) and when that dude became known as a murderer (speed hacking and ran circles around people) I could still drop his speed hacking arse. So, this is to those little things that keep us playing. Here's to Pre-AOS, 1 land (before felucca/trammel) and those that got us into the game or those that keep playing it.

I'm sorry for your loss, Nicar. Please accept my sincere condolences.

/gC

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Thanks man, but um, gc, you didn't answer what kept you with UO  :P

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
Thanks man, but um, gc, you didn't answer what kept you with UO  :P

Well, that was a radical thread hijacking.  ;)  But you are entitled in this case. I'm not sure what gC's excuse is.  heh.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 04:07:37 AM »
Well, that was a radical thread hijacking.  ;)  But you are entitled in this case. I'm not sure what gC's excuse is.  heh.

I know, but I kept it UO related too.  You and 12x had already said what has kept you in, that's why the response was ok, but, GC, tsk tsk, can't jump on that hijack until we hear what keeps gc in UO

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

I know, but I kept it UO related too.  You and 12x had already said what has kept you in, that's why the response was ok, but, GC, tsk tsk, can't jump on that hijack until we hear what keeps gc in UO

Well, the music of course :)

I do not play very much anymore, but I still have 3 accounts active. It is funny where I am in life now, compared to where I was when I first started playing. Lot of good memories with UO (like others have stated).

I also like the never ending bullshit story line that EA keeps adding to. Most of it is silly and drawn out, but I still love it nonetheless :)

/gC

Tags: