Author Topic: Windows 7 Experience  (Read 2814 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Windows 7 Experience
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »
So, I checked our MSDN Academic Alliance site yesterday, and low and behold, there was our Windows 7 Professional (x86 AND x64) downloads available!! So of course I downloaded it right away, backed everything up, and now I'm running off a newly formatted Windows 7 machine! I must say that it's a very nicely polished revision of the Beta and RC. So far the only things I've found a little strange are handling the way things pin/unpin from the taskbar. A little more working with it and I should be used to it. Also, I can't seem to pull off a separate Toolbar from my Taskbar and move it to the sides or top of my screen (even with the taskbar unlocked). I'll have to dig a little deeper and see if I can find a solution. Other than that, I'm quite pleased. It's nice having the Windows Media Center with built in TV tuner support as well as DVD support. UO installed and is running great! I had no driver issues other than my Coprocessor driver (I have an AMD Athlon x2 64-bit 5000). Everything else was installed by default by Windows. It definitely is very smooth

Pros: Nice, smooth interface; "New" taskbar; Windows Media Center; Great driver support

Cons: Takes a little getting used to; Very minor driver issues; Annoying to have to mark alot of programs as "Run as administrator"

I'll update this as I find more pros and cons!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Scrripty

Re: Windows 7 Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »
One thing about having a newer cpu with Windows 7 is XP Mode.  XP Mode is Microsofts solution to things not running well in Windows 7.  I've been using it, and it's basically just a Windows XP virtual machine, but it's pretty damn slick. :)  I've been having a lot of fun with it.  And in Windows 7 it seems to play nicely with VMWares software also.  I routinely have 2 Windows 7 VMWare VM's running and 2 Windows 7 XP Mode VM's running at the same time with no issues.  Fun stuff.  The only problem is I BELIEVE Windows XP Mode requires a compatible CPU from AMD or INTEL.  I'm not positive of that, but I believe I read that.  Anything within the last 2 years should be up to the task... AMD has a utility on their website to check if your cpu supports the feature.

Tags: