0 (0%)
Zone Alarm
1 (4%)
Other (Comments please)
1 (4%)
None
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Which Virus Protection Software Do You Use?  (Read 4886 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Which Virus Protection Software Do You Use?
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:01:20 AM »
I've enabled 3 votes so you can choose multiple products.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Which Virus Protection Software Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
wheres the NONE option.   currently im running buck wild with no protection at all...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
we only use Trend Micro because it's free from the university  :-[

but, it's pretty good protection............... so far
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
wheres the NONE option.   currently im running buck wild with no protection at all...

Put something on that thing.....you never know where its been!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
I'm with Elite, I don't use any virus protection. PCWorld and CNET did a report on anti-virus software and found that the largest CPU hog is anti-virus software (by FAR) and that if you average it out, you're computer will be slowed down more by your anti-virus program than if you actually had a virus or malware!

But I do recommend AVG (Free Edition) to all my customers and friends who are not quite as smart as me when it comes to realizing if you've downloaded a virus!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Wilk

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Wilk has no influence.
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »
Same deal here Maddog. I use nothing due to the hog issue, yet every computer I work on for family & friends I throw on the AVG freebie.

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:22 AM »
There, I added Other and None. If you choose Other please post a reply with what you are using.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
I use Nod 32 it hardly uses any resources at all.  The only time that you will see any resource use worth wondering is for about 15 to 20 secs when it takes an update.  the rest of the time it rox catches most ayhting i need it to and I can not tell it is even running.  Look at the resource usage.  I found it to use about 1 to 2 k less than every other resident program running.

Offline xenoglyph

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • xenoglyph is looked down upon.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »
On my old machine I used NOD32 because it's very light on resources, and middle of the road on effectiveness.
However, I swear by F-Secure.   It offers very good protection against unknown threats and is fairly light on resource usage.

There's a magazine dedicated to AV called Virus Bulletin.  They run exhaustive tests using off the shelf software vs. in-the-wild pests.  Sophos is rated highest in the latest VB100 review I think and Kaspersky also got an award.  F-Secure received an award earlier this year and has received them in the past.

When I settled on F-Secure a while back, it was probably the best AV around.  But now they use a different core engine and other AVs are evolving as well, so it's very hard to say at any given time what the best AV is.  It is however usually easy to decide on the worst:  Norton and McAfee  :)  historically the free ones were always crap too but maybe that's changed...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:58:55 AM by xenoglyph »
UO Machine, advanced scripting for UO.

Are you prepared to die for your beliefs or just to dye your hair?

Tags: