Author Topic: EUO, Razor, and Steam  (Read 2742 times)

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
EUO, Razor, and Steam
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
**I wasn't sure which particular board to post this on. If this isn't the appropriate one, please go ahead and move it. :)  I also realize this is most definitely not the EUO boards, so if this is totally inappropriate please delete.

My question about EUO is just this: with this news about EUO being shut down, where would be the best place to go for EUO scripting questions? Ironically, I never tried to write or adjust any EUO scripts until about a week ago, when I switched to a server that the Blaz'n Heal script doesn't work on (no [bandself, [bs, or any such thing there). Now I'm about up a creek.

My thing about Steam and Razor is this: nearly everyone who uses Steam says "U need to get Steam, it's so much better than Razor, Razor sucks". Well, I dl'ed Steam and started it up and I'll be damned if it didn't look like almost a carbon copy of Razor. One that I'd need to learn a whole different way of writing macros in. My experience over the years has been that not a whole lot of people are extremely proficient with Razor. I've personally been able to write pretty complex macros in it and supplement the few things it couldn't do for me with EUO scripts. I notice it has an autoloot option but the free server I just started on has that built-in already with a gold ledger and loot bag. So, with Steam's autolooter being unnecessary, is there really any pressing reason for me to make a switch to Steam? I'm not a hater, I just don't see it... but I'm more than willing to listen to valid points if there are any.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: EUO, Razor, and Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
Well EasyUO isn't exactly shutting down.  We have it compiled and can make changes at will now, so going forward there will be actually more than one source to get updates.  From what it sounds like, EasyUO will continue to do the official updating for as long as they can, but the process is simple enough.

I can't help you with Razor or Steam however; I just don't use them. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »
I personally tried Steam and decided to stick it out with Razor which I still use exclusively today on both free and prod shards. Steam may have some added benefits but nothing compelling enough, at least yet, for me to want to recreate all of my Razor profiles and macros.

I might try it again at some point but really, I'd rether spend my learning time transitioning over to Stealth.

And, on the topic of EUO, I still stand by the belief that it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »
My main reason for not using Steam at this point is that it's not supported anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).  So at some point it may break and not be repairable.  The macro language is pretty intriguing through.  I've seen people use it with high success.  My guildmate uses it exclusively on Rebirth and she does all kinds of interesting things with it.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:43:16 AM »
From someone with my very basic level of putting scripts together, I will say that steam is far and away the easiest for me to put things together.  The build in commands just make things extremely simple and with a little playing around, I've done some pretty amazing things.

As TM said, the scary part is that if it ever breaks, you're screwed. There are a couple people that have made sure that it keeps working, but if they stop, dunzo.

I've been doing my best to learn stealth, but it is a massive change from what I'm used to.  Almost overwhelming for someone like me.  I just know that if I can get the hang of it I will be in a completely different world. 

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll post my EUO script later and see if anyone has any insight into improving it. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone about Steam either. Razor is really versatile. I can make a chain of mining macros that recalls and mines spot to spot, checks for weight and organizes ore and gems into containers or smelts and adds to resource keys, makes new shovels, and recalls to the next spot immediately if I'm damaged. What else do I really need a mining macro to do? ☺

Tags: