Author Topic: Back on UO after 15 years  (Read 868 times)

Offline salivalTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • salival has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Back on UO after 15 years
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
Hello to everyone in the ScripUO community.  I didn't realize it was going to take effort to get started with these forums, but it certainly looks worth giving a go. It's nice to see a scripting friendly place when everywhere else you go there are players with a feather in their cap ready to spew venom for just asking questions about scripting in UO. I suppose that's enough digression for now, so I'll talk about me.

I started UO back in the early days around '98.  I'd just started junior high and never had an internet connection before. Though I had played a few old online MUD games through AOL at a friends. Junior high was at another school and the majority of my friends were a year behind me, so I had to make some friends in my own class.  I knew a few people in my class a bit who I wasn't really great friends with, so I ended up talking to them more. One of them is where I found Ultima Online. I'd played some past Ultima games and those were great, but this online game was a real game changer.  I was hooked.  My angsty teenage self loved that I could murder other players and steal their things, but I also really enjoyed the feel of the crafting system and the housing system which I think is still unmatched to this day.  I know in game housing has a lot of challenges, but it's really sad that games don't seem to value a system like that because it's very rewarding.  I played for months at my friend's biking there every day after school, using his account and staying beyond my welcome sometimes lol. Eventually, my parents got me some good old dial up internet and a subscription and I was golden.

That all started a long love/hate relationship with MMOs. I played on and off  a bit until about the SE era. I've been through quite a other MMOS since then. The most time consuming of which were Everquest and Warcraft. For the last five years or so I've all but sworn them off as a wasteful time sink.  I probably have those games though to thank for my interest in computers and network which led me into a career in IT.  I did that for several years out of high school, but I wasn't happy with that path as it seemed like a dead end given the rise of cloud computing environments.  I did systems administration, but I still had to work with end users a lot which was a real drag.  I decided after a time to quit that job and make a career switch into computer programming. It was a good pivot, which lets me leverage skills from my IT background, but it also put me through the ringer going back to college as late 20's adult.  I've been doing software engineering for about 5 years now, and never been happier.

All those years went by since SE expansion, but I never really considered getting back on UO. I'd been on and off WoW a few times, even though about Everquest again but for some reason UO and all it's good memories never really seemed like a realistic option.  It wasn't until I was meeting up with some old friends at a crawfish boil, and they mentioned to me that they had gotten back on that I really considered it.  I never really bothered trying to do any scripting for other games since it is forbidden so utterly.  UO though seems to (somewhat) embrace the idea of it, and I like the idea that I can apply my coding skills to automate some of the mundane tasks of the game.  I've been back for a couple of months now and done a few modest scripts.  Many of the tools like UO Razor and UO Steam seem outdated, abandoned and sorely in need of bug fixes.  I'm not quite happy with some of the limitations of the scripting in those platforms given those bugs, but I've been able to make some things work despite them.  Eventually, if I can find a good entry point I might like to try to update some of these tools that are open source, and contribute some of my scripts here as well in the future.

Currently my main UO character is a tamer/mage/bard on Atlantic, but my crafter is also just about reaching his apex. Currently working on using the crafter to gear up a Sampire from scratch.  It's probably more expensive than just buying stuff, but I just like the idea that I can do that.  I hope this has give everyone a good notion of who I am. Hope to have a good time with you all!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Back on UO after 15 years
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »

A Warm Welcome!

Thanks for your introduction - restricted status lifted - feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the site!

WELCOME!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Back on UO after 15 years
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »
Welcome to SUO!

Tags: