Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 70539 times)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
+1

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
key2.jpg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:58:46 AM by Masscre »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
+1
or Maybe this for a little different change

PC-TV All in One Wireless 2.4G Keyboard Mouse Universal Learning Remote Control

2.4GHz wireless USB dongle, plug-and-play, no driver required.
Easy to install and convenient to use.
Automatic Frequency-hopping, does not interfere with other uses of RF technology equipment, such as 802.11b/g or Bluetooth.
Detailed instruction sheet is included.
Specifications:
Color: silver + black
Wireless Carrier Frequency: 2402MHz-2480MHz
Certificates: FCC, CE, RoHS
Control distance: up to 10m
System requirement: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/Mac OS/Linux/Android
Application: PC, TV, DVD, Set-top-box, etc.
Battery type: 2 * AAA Alkaline batteries (not included)
Battery longevity: >6 months
Item size: 20 * 7.4 * 2.4cm
Item weight: 130g
Package size: 27.2 * 17.4 * 4
Package weight: 225g
Package including:
1 * PC-TV All in One Learning Remote Control
1 * 2.4GHz USB Dongle
1 * User Manual

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
key3.jpg

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
+1
Depends if the USB driver is OK in Linux.  Do you have a linky for that device?
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
+1
Holy crap!  I already received my 2 Raspberry Pi boards!  Now I have to figure out how to use them....
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
+1
Holy crap!  I already received my 2 Raspberry Pi boards!  Now I have to figure out how to use them....

have you tried pressing the power button? :P

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
+1
Lol, well they take a bit more than that.  However, I found the default open source XBMC linux image, flashed it onto a 4GB CF card I had laying around.  I booted it up on my HDMI monitor at my desk, and after the splash screen went black, it took about another minute to come up with the Confluence main panel of XBMC.  This is an amazing little device; I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend.  In the mean time, I need to buy a case for these.

I need to figure out how to export my settings from my main XBMC system so I can have the same database shared between the two systems.

It's pretty snappy for a little 700MHz CPU.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
+1
Look on the raspbmc forums. I know I saw something about setting up your different profiles and such with XBMC. Shouldn't be too hard!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
+1
I recieved my new RPI today but I ordered debian 6 for linux on a 4gb sd card for 12 $. I am not familiar much with Linux and figured I would try it the easy way the first since this is a pre installed OS on the SD card and is already setup for the RPI. Is this a good setup or should i try to veer toward XBMC? I did not have enough time tonight to boot up and try it out but there will be time tomorrow.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »
+1
I found that installing OpenELEC on the RPi was totally simple and you boot right into XBMC:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Installing_OpenELEC_on_Raspberry_Pi

I think it was a bit easier for me since I did it on my Linux box, but there are also Windows instructions.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
+1
I found that installing OpenELEC on the RPi was totally simple and you boot right into XBMC:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Installing_OpenELEC_on_Raspberry_Pi

I think it was a bit easier for me since I did it on my Linux box, but there are also Windows instructions.

Windows Instructions:

http://www.squirrelhosting.co.uk/hosting-blog/hosting-blog-info.php?id=9

(I downloaded the 3 required bits seperatly as the build was out of date in the combined zip)

EDIT: The beauty of this install is if using a hdmi cable your tv remote will control the XBMC interface without you having to do anything.

As for cases http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=raspberry+pi+case&_sacat=0

I'm thinking of just velcroing it to the back ot the tv. !!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:37:04 PM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »
+1
Safely overclocking the 700 MHz to a nice 1Ghz with a simple firmware reflash and some simple selections.  It has 4 different overclock modes and none of them void the warranty the new firmware is developed by the RPi crew.

Overclocking RPi
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:34:11 AM by Masscre »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
+1
At $35 a piece, I won't cry if I overload a board.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 09:35:12 AM »
+1
At $35 a piece, I won't cry if I overload a board.  ;)

The A version of this board is only 25$ :) If you want to work at a cheaper level :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
+1
So I'm playing with this beastie and have some mixed results.  It seems to stream from my NAS OK at normal DVD resolution, but is you try and stream at 1080p, it buffers like crazy.  Probably because of the small amount of memory more than anything else.  I'll continue to play with it to see if there's something that can be optimized.  I know my NAS works well with my Nvidia ION HTPC, so the bottleneck has to be somewhere in the RPi.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
+1
Let me know if you can't figure out a solution to the buffering issue as I was planning on the same NAS as you and doing everything the streaming route. Most of my stuff is 1080P BluRay so if that's an issue, I may have to change my config.

Please explain more about the whole TV remote with HDMI thing! I saw some comments on the RPi forums, but didn't realize what they were saying! Does it work for ANY TV with any remote? I have a nice Logitech Harmony remote that I was thinking I might use in place of my Comcast remote and my TV remote. Would that still work?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: