Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 71872 times)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
This with the I2C expansion should make it a programmers/Modders Dream machine now. I have worked with the Atmel AVR and I2C chip sets before and they are very versatile. Also it is able to run Android ICS is just a plus :) The IR port will also make this board more useful and powerfull as an HTPC platform.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:46:49 PM by Masscre »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Has anyone tried this installation from windows? I am running into problems with thier install because it mentions a batch file that needs to be in the download and it is not included in the RPi download that i am getting from the OpenElec site?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
I'm using Linux since it seemed to be waaaay easier.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »
Has anyone tried this installation from windows? I am running into problems with thier install because it mentions a batch file that needs to be in the download and it is not included in the RPi download that i am getting from the OpenElec site?

Yes i have but dont know anything about a batch file... I followed these instructions  (I downloaded the 3 items sperately as the combined zip does not hold the latest and greatest image)

http://www.squirrelhosting.co.uk/hosting-blog/hosting-blog-info.php?id=9

Installing was a peice of Pi  please excuse the bun.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »
I got my little clear RPi enclosures yesterday from Ebay.  Very nice little enclosures, but are somewhat like a Rubik's cube to assemble.  lol.  I'll post a picture later.

lol.  groan.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »

Yes i have but dont know anything about a batch file... I followed these instructions  (I downloaded the 3 items sperately as the combined zip does not hold the latest and greatest image)

Did you mean Pun?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

Did you mean Pun?

What did i make a typo    p d d p ... all the same isnt it   ;) :-\
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I finally got mine working tonight now I have alot of exploring to do with it.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
One thing I found that was annoying but solvable is powering the RPi.  I found it to be unstable for some reason, until I used a dual-USB cable to gather more current from the host system.  I guess the current draw of the RPi approaches 1A which is out of the spec of USB, but using 2 USBs from the host caused my RPi to become way more stable.

Just a little FYI....
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
Well I've been powering mine just beautifully through my 32" Samsung TV. However, I ran into the same buffering issues with 1080P content streaming from the NAS. Not sure what to do to reduce it. I'm going to try a straight hardwire into the router to see if any of it is the powerline adapaters. If that doesn't work, then I'll look at overclocking. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to try next! :( 1080P does work beautifully via USB thumbdrive or external hard drive connected straight to the RPi, but I don't want to be limited to that! Maybe they'll release a $40 version with 1GB of RAM and a 1GHz processor to handle buffering better!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
I've actually had much better luck by having adequate power and I've overclocked somewhat.  Also I changed the audio output so that it's not DTS, but just 2.0 stereo.  From that, I can get almost no buffering.  The power thing was killing me though, so it's working pretty well now.  I'll post my overclocking information when I get back upstairs.  It's pretty basic stuff that I found with a quick web search. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
Not sure what you were using before, but a standard USB plug is usually only going to give you around 0.5A (500mA), whereas the RPi needs 0.7A minimum to function stable. So using that dual USB thing probably works great because now you can supply up to 1A. I believe I have my audio set to 2.0 (since I don't have a surround sound system hooked up yet). How did you go about overclocking it?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
just edit/add your config.txt file in the boot visible partition of your SD card.   You can follow this guide:
http://htpcbuild.com/htpc-software/raspberry-pi-openelec/openelec-overclocking/
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Hmm, that right there will probably make me make a purchase tonight.  heh.  Thanks freddy.

Here's a Newark link with the added features:  LINKY
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:17:45 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: