General > Off Topic

Is this a Mistake?

(1/4) > >>

CityKitty:
Hey there!

I've always tried to be a valuable member of any forum, careful to be respectful and helpful where possible. My last activity here, a few days ago, was to try to look for or figure out how to write a script to help me with a repair bench. I left no message or comment. Certainly nothing that would ever be offensive. I don't even swear.

I am at a complete loss as to why, when I logged in, I was told I was banned. For the life of me, I cannot possibly imagine whatever I could possibly have done. I love this site and the people I've met here. I've chatted directly with Crisis if you'd like a reference. Please explain to me what happened. I will do whatever necessary to set things right. My login name is CityKitty

(Edited for a type-o)

TrailMyx:
Out of curiosity, how are you logging in now.  We have some ban filters that are IP-based, so perhaps your IP address is one of those?

CityKitty:

--- Quote from: TrailMyx on November 06, 2020, 01:22:27 PM ---Out of curiosity, how are you logging in now.  We have some ban filters that are IP-based, so perhaps your IP address is one of those?

--- End quote ---

I log in on a PC, usually with VPN (Nord forwarding to Seattle. I'm in Canada) but not always so that was the first thing I tried. I cleared my cache and dropped the VPN, restarted the browser (Brave) and logged in. My heart sank. Should I try a different browser?

ACK!! Even though I've been using Brave for quite some time with no issue, I just logged in with Chrome and everything was just fine (I will try to breathe now), I didn't get the message, thank heaven. So, now I need to find out why, on one computer, I can use Brave and on the other I can't. I thought I had been able to send that message as anon but I should have figured it was a mistake when I could post as me!

Gaderian:
Same thing has happened to me. I got pretty good at clearing the Firefox cache and being careful to login again.

I will vote that a VPN connection is pretty wise these days - keep the prying eyes out of my personal traffic and the ISP from throttling a connection. Here at home we stream all our TV (no cable subscription!) so our usage is already pretty high. Working from work on video streams adds to that again - so it is better to keep everyone out of my traffic.

Here there are several IP bans - like he said - so definitely do not take it personally.

Some very old forum rule states you can't use a VPN to access here. I believe that rule is outdated and should be revised - personally. So what I do is disconnect from my vpn when I want to connect here. Then back onto my vpn for all my important work.

I am confident someone tried to cause lots of trouble here in the past over various VPN and that is the reason for the rule and the bans - but for sure... take the message with a grain of salt. I have used another browser and connected just fine - but it is a browser I disdain. So you will need to clear the data from your browser to get to reconnect from your favored browser again.

Gaderian

CityKitty:

--- Quote from: Gaderian on November 06, 2020, 01:58:06 PM ---Same thing has happened to me. I got pretty good at clearing the Firefox cache and being careful to login again.

I will vote that a VPN connection is pretty wise these days - keep the prying eyes out of my personal traffic and the ISP from throttling a connection. Here at home we stream all our TV (no cable subscription!) so our usage is already pretty high. Working from work on video streams adds to that again - so it is better to keep everyone out of my traffic.

Here there are several IP bans - like he said - so definitely do not take it personally.

Some very old forum rule states you can't use a VPN to access here. I believe that rule is outdated and should be revised - personally. So what I do is disconnect from my vpn when I want to connect here. Then back onto my vpn for all my important work.

I am confident someone tried to cause lots of trouble here in the past over various VPN and that is the reason for the rule and the bans - but for sure... take the message with a grain of salt. I have used another browser and connected just fine - but it is a browser I disdain. So you will need to clear the data from your browser to get to reconnect from your favored browser again.

Gaderian

--- End quote ---

I've almost stopped shaking. I can't tell you how mortified I was to see that! I even tried to find out if I was hacked, you know checking FB, other forums, Twitter, etc. but nothing. Next time I will try to go the calmer route.  ::)

I'm just setting out with the cord cutter thing too. It came about from my passion for home theatre. Nothing huge but I got a Firestick and some nice apks and then got Google TV and a few apks that have be thinking now about just how much cable tv I need. Anyway, that's a conversation for another day.

btw: Any leads on a script that will write a repair deed, then put it in a bag in my backpack? I can add it to the repair myself prolly.

Thanks again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version