Casa de TrailMyx > Virtualization

Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

(1/7) > >>

12TimesOver:
If you are running Windows 7 you can install the latest version of MS Virtual PC however this turorial will focus only on Virtual PC 2007. Be sure you are running SP3 if Windows XP

First, you need to download the software. There are two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit, pick your version and download.

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 Installation package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=28c97d22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5

Then download Security Update 1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=88DE1513-8D35-410F-8896-FE668F885CA0&displaylang=en

Now we install...
1 - Run the Virtual PC 2007 SP1 installation package.
2 - Click "Next" at the welcome screen
3 - Accept the license and click "Next"
4 - Put in whatever information you want for Username and Organization, choose whether you want "Anyone" or "Only for me", click "Next"
5 - Pick the folder you want to install to or leave it default (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC), click "Install"
6 - Click "Finish" when done
7 - Install the Security Update package, this will tell you to reboot usually, go ahead.

Next, we create a new PC...
1 - Start Microsoft Virtual PC (Start\Programs\Microsoft Virtual PC)
2 - The first thing that comes up will be the "New Virtual Machine Wizard", I like to click "Cancel" here and head to "File/Options" first but you don't have to. If you do, just go through the options and make sure you are comfortable with the settings. You may find that you are perfectly happy with the default settings.
3 - Now click "New" and start the wizard again
4 - Keep "Create a virtual machine" selected and click "Next"
5 - Give the machine a name and a location, I suggest changing the default location because it will put the devices in your "My Documents" folder in your profile. I usually give the Name as the same Windows name I will give the PC when I build it. I also like to put the machines in a different folder on my Data drive ("D:\Images\VirtualPC" for me). Click "Next"
6 - Select the OS you will install, e.g. Windows XP, click "Next"
7 - Select "Adjusting the RAM" and enter the amount of memory you want to dedicate to this device, for a Windows XP box I like to put it to at least 256 Megs. Just pick what you want and click "Next"
8 - Since you haven't created a virtual hard disk yet, select "A new virtual hard disk" and click "Next"
9 - Browse to the folder you want to store your image in and give it a name (leave it with the .vhd file extension). I like to give it the same name and folder as step 5, this way all of the files stay together and are easily identified as belonging to a specific PC. Pick your hard drive size, I would suggest at least 4gig if Windows XP but this greatly depends on what you will be doing with it. Once decided click "Next"
10 - Click "Finish"
11 - You will now see your new Virtual PC listed in the "Virtual PC Console", don't start it yet. Select it and click "Settings"
12 - Go through the settings and get familiar with the options here. This is how you control the behavior of the "hardware" and the save settings, etc.
13 - Once satisfied with the settings move along!

Finally, we put an Operating System on the new PC...
1 - Insert your installation media into your CD/DVD drive (e.g. your Windows XP installation CD)
2 - In the "Virtual PC Console" click "Start"
3 - The virtual machine will start and a new window will open. In the bottom, left-hand side of the window you will see several icons including a CD icon. Right-mouse click the icon and select "Use physical drive X:" where "X:" is the CD Drive with your media in it.
4 - Click "Action" then "CTRL+ALT+DELETE". Your new machine should restart and, if you are using the correct installation media :) the Windows installer now kicks in and you have now reached the end of this half-hazard tutorial.

Any questions?

Enjoy!

XII

Paulonius:
On my load for the final step of installing the OS, when I hit CTL ALT DEL it opened the menu in the installed version of Win7.  I used the action "Reset" and that worked to initiate the install.

I am trying to load my 64 bit Win7 OS onto the VM and it is giving me the message "CPU is not compatible with 64bit Mode".

Wondering if maybe I should load a different OS...

12TimesOver:

--- Quote from: Paulonius on March 08, 2010, 06:13:09 AM ---On my load for the final step of installing the OS, when I hit CTL ALT DEL it opened the menu in the installed version of Win7.  I used the action "Reset" and that worked to initiate the install.

I am trying to load my 64 bit Win7 OS onto the VM and it is giving me the message "CPU is not compatible with 64bit Mode".

Wondering if maybe I should load a different OS...

--- End quote ---
The last step of my tutorial does specify to use the action menu, not actually hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE ;)

As for the 64-bit question, are you using the correct version of MS Virtual PC (see the beginning portion of the tutorial)?

X

Paulonius:
maybe I just mis-read the tutorial.  Not sleeping so great lately.

I thought I was using the right bit selection, but not 100% sure.  I have to get an OS before I can get it running anyway, so maybe I will uninstall it and reinstall it to be sure.

Paulonius:
It appears that the XP license goes away from your Win7 product key once you download the first Win7 service pack.  I read this on a couple of websites and mine won't work to load XP on a VM. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version