Author Topic: needing back up for old pictures  (Read 6625 times)

Offline madatuTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • madatu has no influence.
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
needing back up for old pictures
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
hay guys i have a question. i am wanting to have a back up for old pictures of when my kids were little. i had a hard drive fail a couple of years ago and lost alot. i sent the hard drive out to a big company to attempt to retrieve them but after 300$ it turned out to be a fail. i was at frys the other day asking them options. they suggested a personal i cloud but that isnt 100 % either. i dont really want to have to pay a monthly fee to to a company what do you use or suggest.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: needing back up for old pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »
You have a few option. 

1) you can build a NAS , since it had a raide ,if a HD fail you only need to put a new one in to rebuild the lost data.
2) you can put then in a cloud. ( i don't like that one because what go into the internet stay) and might have a fee
3) you can have 3 external drive and triple same your stuff.
4) burn to dual layer DVD

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
Raid in you machine  ... ie 2 drives mirrored.  (exact duplicates)
+  External USb backup (synced nightly)
+ If you are extra paranoid (flood theft etc)   - Cloud backup.

=  At any given time 4 copies of your data.. . never loose anything. 

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »
I use bluray disks

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »
I use bluray disks

Gim, I'm surprised you didn't say "Betamax"  :p
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 01:02:52 AM »

I use a Synology NAS with 4 TB Space and 2 1TB spaces. the 1 TB space i mirror (important stuff) the 4TB is for *other* things..
Modern NAS can do Backups automaticly based on backup plans.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 06:58:54 AM »

I use a Synology NAS with 4 TB Space and 2 1TB spaces. the 1 TB space i mirror (important stuff) the 4TB is for *other* things..
Modern NAS can do Backups automaticly based on backup plans.

Yes NAS's are great but not everyone wants to spring for one.  If you are using a laptop you dont have a choice but with a clunker you dont need it.

My current system is 2x256mb SSD's and  2xinternal 4tb drives and 5tb  external with full compression for nightly archival backups ... so i can recover changed files as well

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:43 AM »
I use bluray disks

Gim, I'm surprised you didn't say "Betamax"  :p

lol
I still have 1 - and it was much superior to VHS!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 07:31:55 AM »
Are you asking for ideas on how to recover the files from the hard drive or ideas for what people are doing to store their files so you can avoid future losses?

Unfortunately I have no ideas on the first one, if you paid a recovery service and still ended up with nada I don't even know where to begin but I do offer my condolences, that sucks!

However I think you're asking about ways to avoid it in the future. I put all my photos on Shutterfly, Google Photos, and Amazon Photos (depends on the photos) although I do have copies synch'd to my local machine as well. It's free to store the photos in libraries online and I get to take advantage of the ridiculously redundant infrastructure inherent in cloud-based storage rather than build my own. There are plenty of options available for free or on the cheap that are completely reliable, WAY more so than just storing them locally without investing in one of these hardware solutions others' have mentioned which cost extra $$ and require intervention.

Furthermore, the data is available automatically on every device I want it to be available on and is sharable to friends and family however I want it to be shared.

Cloud is simply the way to go IMHO, if my machine were to implode right before my very eyes this second it would suck but I'll have lost nothing other than the time and $ to rebuild my machine. All my data is stored elsewhere without even thinking about it.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: