Author Topic: Old Junk to New File server  (Read 2834 times)

Offline mholmesTopic starter

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mholmes has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Old Junk to New File server
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
Just a little Hardware idea for us old guys whom have more computers then children lol Currently I have about 12 computers dateing clear back to i386 to P3 days. Now Im a bit of a PC horder. Meaning I keep it an never throw it away. So I came up with a idea to make it useable.

Now most of my old PC's use ISA for those whom remember those days. Anyway, ISA NICs are still buy able. Well kinda lol Anyway the idea of a file server is to simply store data on the network. So My suggestion or idea is simply take those old junky computers. Throw something like Windows NT or 2000 Pro OS on it. Hook it up to your network. An use them as a File server for music, movies etc.

Or if your like me into the old school games. I use one of them in my kids room for old SNES Roms. Works great. An I get some use out of the old PC. May be old and slow. But still works. I hope this hardware idea helps you find use out of your old PC.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Old Junk to New File server
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
Ya, my file servers and DHCP server are just my older hand-me-down computers.  So there's always some life for the old PCs.  I finally trashed a whole box of ISA cards, though.  Just no point in keeping those cards any longer.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Old Junk to New File server
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
To be honest, power consumption would buy you a new machine within a couple of years! :P

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: