Author Topic: Taqueria Burrito/Tacos?  (Read 5800 times)

Offline SardornTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sardorn has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Taqueria Burrito/Tacos?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
Curious of anyone out there has a good recipe clone of the meat you get in the burritos and tacos from the taqueria's? I live in the Chicago land area and am thinking specifically of what's around here but if anyone has anything to share I'd be interested. As much as I love my taco recipe, sometimes I wouldn't mind not opening that pouch of powder...(if anyone's interested...ground beef/chicken/turkey, packet of your favorite seasoning, 1-cup your favorite salsa, chicken broth instead of water...simmer away)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Taqueria Burrito/Tacos?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »
I'm shuddering at the thought of a Chicago taco!  I'd certainly be open to trying one, but I've lived too close to the Mexcian border all my life.  :)  Anything I could come up with for you would probably hurt you going in *AND* coming out!  Muhahaha
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline SardornTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sardorn has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »
I'm shuddering at the thought of a Chicago taco!  I'd certainly be open to trying one, but I've lived too close to the Mexcian border all my life.  :)  Anything I could come up with for you would probably hurt you going in *AND* coming out!  Muhahaha

There's actually a very large Mexican/Hispanic population in Chi town, think they said around 1.2 million one some news show. Not saying that it's the same as living by the border as I've only been to a border town in AZ once and I really dont remember anything I ate.
I always consider it a good sign when no one in back speaks English and the girl at the register barely does. And when the cook still has on his straw cowboy hat to go with his wife-beater t-shirt

Offline mellifluant

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mellifluant has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
Sorry for necro-ing, but I am brand new here, and love cooking... which means I'm probably going to be necro-diving through a lot of posts in this sub-forum.

On-topic: Unfortunately, its very hard to replicate taqueria flavors at home. The kind of gross, but real truth, is that a TON of the flavor comes from well-seasoned flat-tops and/or pans from years of meat being cooked on it in high volume. Not to mention the recycled lard from making carnitas.

Now, what you can do to get as close as possible, is make sure you've got some color on your meat! So many home-cooks wind up steaming their taco meat because they just want to quickly cook it and be done with it. As soon as its not pink, even though it's still swimming in juice, they add their seasoning and call it a day. No bueno. You need to cook all the extra water off, and get that meat caramelized! Add some diced onion and cilantro, el pato, or make your own salsa, and a squeeze of lime. Good to go.  8)

Tags: