Author Topic: Concerning Hammy  (Read 52548 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Concerning Hammy
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:49 AM »
+1
Hi Gem, I'm sorry to hear about your loss; your Grandma sounds like she was a wonderful person up until the very end.  I plan on going out being a pain in the ass to those who love me, so how she managed it was pretty classy.  :)

Pets, humans, whatever can all be considered family and so it's always going to be devastating regardless of what people think.  My poor girlfriend just lost her beloved little cat a few weeks ago and she's never really gone through the loss of a close family member.  We had been bracing for it because he's been sick, but it was still much harder on her than she ever expected.  So it's good to talk about it and share your feelings with people around you that care or are even just willing to listen.

The pain does finally subside, but even today I'll get myself sad remembering the days leading up to the end.  But it helps to remember all the good times and try to bring those forward to help you heal.  I even made this little tribute to our most recent departed creatures on Rebirth. They are spiders now.  :)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
hammyandgibbs.png
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Neireid

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Neireid has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »
+1

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
+1
Hello Neireid!

Yes it's very hard to lose your little friends, especially when you finally have to make the decision for them and after you've worked so hard to help them survive.  I totally sympathize what you're going through now.  I actually found a new friend fairly soon after I lost Hammy.  I finally decided that the years of happiness that you garner through that relationship is worth the inevitable things you have to deal with at the end.  

So for me, I'm happy that I got my new little friend.  His name is Henry (I kept the name from the shelter).  He was a problem cat and had to be returned from the previous adopters because he didn't get along with their child.  Originally he was a skinny somewhat lighter version of Hammy, but he reminded me of him.  I wanted to try and help him when it was probably the end of the line for him otherwise.  After 2 years, he's mellowed greatly and has turned into a wonderful little cat and is my constant shadow.

I remember right after I lost Hammy, I was in the same mindset as you are.... "NEVER AGAIN!".  That pain and energy lost as you go through that seems insurmountable.  But it does get better, and I'm now glad I made the choice and adopted again.

I'm actually going through this whole thing again; my white cat is suffering from renal failure, so he's slowly dwindling away.  I have daily sub-cutanious fluids I have to administer to help him manage.  But we do what we have to do for our family and critters.  

Even after all that, my advice to you is go out and find yourself another furry companion and enjoy the 98% of the time.  Try and not think about what you KNOW will inevitably happen.  Just reflect back on the joy you got from the rest of the 98%.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:48:52 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline valen2.0

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • valen2.0 has no influence.
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
+1
Currently fearing about going through this now to be honest. Mine and my Girlfriends cat is 14 years old. Which from what I read is rather old. She doesn't act the same as she used to. She is extremely vocal now and appear to be having bladder issues. We have taken her to the vet multiple times but, the vets say there is nothing wrong.

I can only imagine how you feel now considering it has truly happened to you. I really don't know what I will do when our kitty is gone. She is always in my lap when I am playing UO or watching tv, you name it.

So sorry TM

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »
+1
It's all good honestly.  The white cat is doing OK at the moment as his blood values hover from OK to pretty crappy.  Unfortunately it looks like he's going to require SubQ for the rest of his life, and that's a pain when it comes to things like vacations and even being away for more than a day.  This is my 3rd cat to suffer from renal failure, so it's getting pretty routine sadly.  I'll take him into the vet this coming Friday to see what daily 180ml injections of SubQ does for his kidney levels.  I might even do a YouTube video of how I administer them just because there's ZERO demonstrations of how I do it. (easy for person living alone)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline valen2.0

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
+1
I had to help my dad with his cat give SubQ fluids. I would be very curious as to how you do it alone. It was hard enough with us.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
+1
I'll definitely put something together then.  I struggled with it for years, but over time I've come up with a pretty easy method that lends itself nicely to solo administration.  It all depends on the mannerisms of the cat too, fortunately the white cat trusts me after the initial hissing. lol
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Wiper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Wiper has no influence.
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
+1
Very Sorry to hear of your loss. I know from personal experience pets are family.
We have 2 now after our first cat Pepper passed on after 19 1/2 years it was very hard to say goodbye.
Your have our deepest condolences.

Offline valen2.0

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
+1
Just let me know when you put that stuff together. ill share it with my dad as well.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »
+1
Very Sorry to hear of your loss. I know from personal experience pets are family.
We have 2 now after our first cat Pepper passed on after 19 1/2 years it was very hard to say goodbye.
Your have our deepest condolences.

It's actually sneaking up on 2.5 years for Hammy.  I like that this thread has become something of a way for people to tribute their own losses.  I never used to take the pet loss thing all that seriously until I started losing my own critters, so I'm a changed man.

Just let me know when you put that stuff together. ill share it with my dad as well.

I will; I need to do it soon while the white cat is still relatively pliable.  He's been feeling better and getting a bit harder to manage.  But I suppose it's good to have what really happens.  I guess I'll wait until my girly gets back from the Phillipines so she can be my camera woman.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline DieselKush420

• Activity:
    0%
  • DieselKush420 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2023, 05:09:12 PM »
I'm sorry for the loss of hammy. i am not a pet person but everyone i know has a cat or dog and they are the same to these people as there own family. sorry again for the loss

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »
I'm sorry for the loss of hammy. i am not a pet person but everyone i know has a cat or dog and they are the same to these people as there own family. sorry again for the loss

It's been a while now but I still think about him all the time.  I've had lots of pets in my life, but he did certainly leave an impression on me.  Some people don't get that a pet really can become a close family member. I've had some maddening conversations with people who just don't get it.  They must just be robots.  lol
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: cancer