Author Topic: My New System  (Read 21746 times)

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My New System
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
thats the same problem i was having, thats why i decided to do a complete reinstall of uo and cart.  worked after that.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 04:44:47 AM »
Probably installed with permissions allowing UOCart to access the directory.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »
yea, of course.  After i spend all night reinstalling and patching you find a simple way to fix it! lol
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
So if I do decide to add a video card....

Since the motherboard has ATI on it already, I'm assuming I should just get an ATI Video Card as well, to avoid doubling up on drivers? It's PCI Express 2.0 x16 and unfortunately Asus only has 2.1 for their ATI cards. I'd really like to stick with the same company for MB and Video, oh well.

Hows THIS ONE look?
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
This is actually a little confusing.

The Asus site shows a card as being 2.1 while it's 2.0 on tigerdirect and 2.1 on newegg.

Another card is 2.0 on Asus, 2.1 on newegg and 2.0 on tigerdirect.

*Actually, after reading a little more, it doesn't matter at all. You can use a 2.1 card in a 2.0 slot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:06:45 AM by Cerveza »

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kalaka has no influence.
  • Respect: +25
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
Ya was gonna say you should be able to. Don't you just play UO though? Why you need a good graphics card?

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »
Oh I don't. I don't need a lot of stuff LOL.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
You still most likely will most likely have two sets of drivers unless the cards are identical - but will probably save on support files. I'd check to see that 2 ATI config programs are not loading.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »
Since I can go with 2.1, then I might think about THIS CARD.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
How many monitors will you be using? I do recommend sticking with the same companies (nVIDIA vs ATi) just so that if you have issues they can't blame it on the other guy so to speak. I'd recommend a card that has a lifetime warranty if possible just to alleviate any potential headaches. It's been awhile since I've looked at ATi cards so I'd have to do a little more research before suggesting one
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
See, I knew if I just waited, something would come along.

Guy posted on the work email for sale thingy... A pair of eVGA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB.

I have two of these video cards for sale, used. Original box included, I think each has all the original cables/adapters except for the DVI to VGA converter it came with.

Both cards came from working machines and have never been overclocked or run hot. Just light to moderate gaming usage. Purchased in Feb 2008 and used until about Jan 2011.

Perfect card for a budget gaming rig or as a spare replacement.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-N801-AR-GeForce-512MB-Graphics/dp/B0010T8XFY

Asking $35/ea or $60 for the pair. Reasonable offers also accepted.

Emailed him and he has them available. Mine, all mine!

I only have the one slot so I'll put one in my PC to upgrade from the motherboard video (which has been good enough) and put the other one in my son's PC as an upgrade to his 6600GT. I can move the 6600GT to my father's PC to upgrade from his motherboard video.

I think $60 is a great price for a pair of 8800 GT's... think so?

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
Definately a good price !! To bad Twinkle McNugget was not here to disagree with me on this being a good buy !! :)

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
A good price for sure.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Okay, latest on my pc.

Haven't gotten around to putting the video card in. I've had some power problems that screwed something up with my PC.

I've had a couple times that required multiple (like 50+) reboots to get back to win 7 screen.

I bought an APC BackUPS ES 750 to help with the weird power outages. It's awesome. Connects to PC and you can set up how long to run on UPS and it monitors everything including how much power your using. Got it for a nice price on sale at Office Depot.

Still had some random blue screens and crashes. I suspected ram. I took out one of my chips and ran with only one and things seemed to stabilize. I ran both sticks in NON-dual channel (ran them in 1-2 instead of 1-3 for dual channel) and ran pretty good. Still got a reboot though.

Ordered some G.Skill ECO (1.35v) ram, 4G of the 12800 (1600) to replace my 1333 sticks. Put them in dual channel and have run solid for over a week. Very happy with the purchase.

Same order I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink/heatpipe/fan for my CPU. I'm just tired of hearing the default tiny fan spinning at 6000rpm all the time. I was going to have it put in as I haven't done it before, but they wanted $45 to do it. I felt I could learn for that price.

Installation went really smooth. As to the cooler itself, couldn't say more about it. Awesome. Works for like every chipset out there!

Here's some real numbers:

Stock Fan
27*C (78*F) on the cores
40*C (104*F) on the cpu
5921rpm CPU fan

Hyper 212 Plus
20*C (68*F) on the cores
34*C (93*F) on the cpu
1864rpm CPU fan

The 120mm fan is virtually silent. Cooled the cpu down by 10 degrees and turned it into an almost silent machine.

I'll see how things go, but I might have finally gotten all the gremlins out. If it stays up for a week or so I'll toss in that video card  ???

Tags: