Author Topic: Plant script  (Read 21130 times)

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plant script
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
It's about 90% done I'd say.  Every part of the script works, with the exception of the main loop for tending, and stocking of potions which is easy, just never got around to.  Kinda lost interest in it since seed prices have dropped a little on my shard to the point I'd rather just buy them.  My friends tending plants in 3 of my houses, so maybe when the script he's using pisses him off enough i'll finish it.

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »
On Pacific, Seeds of Renewal are still rather pricey and in short supply.  At least a couple of times a day, someone is 'spamming' general chat asking to buy the Seeds. 
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Scrripty

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
I can't wait to see it released too after all the talk in my thread about it.  Gonna be soon I hope? :)  There's a ton of people waiting for it.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »
Funny.  4 pages of people talking about a mythical script.  heheh.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
Mythical?

Are you trying to imply something?

Scrripty

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »
Yes.  We're implying that at 1.25 to 1.5 mil per 10 seeds they don't exist.  Why on earth would you release such a script and ruin a good thing?  That's half the prolem with the market already.  Scripts that allow every noob and their brother to farm every resource available.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Yes.  We're implying that at 1.25 to 1.5 mil per 10 seeds they don't exist.  Why on earth would you release such a script and ruin a good thing?  That's half the prolem with the market already.  Scripts that allow every noob and their brother to farm every resource available.

Honestly with what you have to go through to grow & farm the seeds, I'd rather let "every noob" do it for me, and pay them the gold for them, at a cheaper rate than current.  I'd also like to not that "every noob" is our potential community.  Who knows what script could inspire someone to actually learn to write their own, and share as we do.

But that wouldn't be why I would release it.  I started scripting & posting them in communities like here, not for my personal gain/profit, but to help others, and have a general place to place my scripts, where my friends can easily download them.  I don't look at it as "ruining" something that people have this thought that it is should be exclusive to select ultima players, because it's not.  I post to share my work with others, if I don't think they should have it, I don't mention it.

As far as the plant script its self goes, I'm in no rush to throw it up here without good stability & failsafe testing.  Thousands of plants ruined by a buggy script would be frustrating to a debugger or general user of our community.  In fact my friend is stuck tending 3 houses with a script that often screws up, not tending plants correctly at times.  Right now he's gota deal with it though lol.

But as for the mythical script, I've attached where I'm currently at.  It does absolutely nothing, but contains subs to check plant conditions and tend.  I left off addressing all fail sales that i implemented, and really looping it, etc and working on making all those buttons "turn".

Typically I rename my scripts for my board alias, but I don't care these days.

When I ever feel a desire to complete/finish it, I'll do so, and post a working version as promised.  I'm pretty sidetracked in other things that have my interest :)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
nystul_plant-tender.txt

Offline Kherkus

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Kherkus has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
I know I've mentioned this before, but I currently use Hort to tend to 1600 plants.  The last run I did was 1200 and I got around 400 seeds of renewal from it.  I sold 320 of them on the market and made 32 mil.  Just because I flooded the marker with that many seeds, does not mean that their value is going to go down.  Take into account how long it takes to grow that many plants.  Even if nothing goes wrong and you don;t have to sure them, it takes 17 days to complete a plant cycle.  Then there is the cleanup and the resetting of everything for the next run.  It often takes me a week to reset all of my gear and get all of my seeds planted for the next run.  Also, if there is a delay because of a client update, I have break all of my plants down and store them until Easyuo can run again. 

Trust me when I say this.  Using a macro or a script to tend to plants is not going to increase the amount of seeds out so drastically that the prices are going to plummet.  I know this because I'm one of only a handful of people who actually grows in large quantity on my shard.  The average price for 10 seeds on my shard is 1.2 million gold or higher depending on the supply and who is growing them.

In short, I'm all for this new script and would be very interested in testing it to the fullest extent.

I posted in a previously that I'd like to see a feature installed or released somewhere that enables users to cross pollinate only the plants selected.  I also just thought of another addition that can be made.  In the event of a client update, I think it would be wise to incorporate a system to unlock your plants and then store them into a designated container.  This script already contains the sub for moving plants to a designated container.  All it needs now is the sub to unlock the plants for moving.

I going to start studying this scripting stuff in hopes that someday I'll understand how it works so that I can eventually start helping people with things like this.  Right now I just don;t have the time to spare for studying scripting.

Hope to hear some good news soon Burger.

Don't work too hard.

Scrripty

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
Just because I flooded the marker with that many seeds, does not mean that their value is going to go down.  Take into account how long it takes to grow that many plants.  Even if nothing goes wrong and you don;t have to sure them, it takes 17 days to complete a plant cycle.  Then there is the cleanup and the resetting of everything for the next run.  It often takes me a week to reset all of my gear and get all of my seeds planted for the next run.  Also, if there is a delay because of a client update, I have break all of my plants down and store them until Easyuo can run again.

I'm going to respond to this portion of your post.  You're assuming that everyone uses Hort, and that no one has a script that makes it easier than Hort does.  I can, and have planted upwards of 3000 plants and tended them all without touching a single button on my keyboard.  Yes it takes a while, hours to tend that many actually, but does that mean that because I can everyone should?  I'm not putting you down for your efforts, congrats, but just because it's possible, doesn't mean everyone should have that ability.  I can name 20 scripts off the top of my head I'm sure that are great scripts, but have had a hand in ruining parts of the economy that would probly have been better left unscripted, or at least private scripts for the authors only.  I understand you want it to be easier, but just because you do, doesn't mean it should be. heh  I know you understand my point, but I'm guessing that you're not a scripter, and would really really LOVE to have a script that does all this for you... am I right? :)  I'll never again release the version of the script I have privately because it's just too good.  And there is such a thing.  I'm sure there are people here who would agree.  Even OMGBurgers. :)  If another good plant script is released, the economy for SORs will die.  It's inevitable.

Offline Kherkus

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
I do understand where you are coming from and I respect that opinion.  You are also quite right in your assumption of my wanting/needing something that is a little bit faster and little bit more capable than Hort.  I will not say I hate Hort or even dislike.  However, my wife, who also wants to use this computer, has another opinion of its capabilities.  So far, I've gotten into the habit of running Hort in a virtual machine so that she can run whatever she wants on the base machine without interfering with my operation.

As for the numbers I grow, believe me, I know what it's like to grow a massive amount of plants and not have something to help you.  It gets very tiring and very painful on the hands to sit here and click away at a screen on 1000 plants for almost a month.

I agree that some macros should not be spread because of their sheer power.  I believe that scripts that powerful will ruin the game for honest people.  I may use macros and scripts to do certain things in the game, but I prefer to think of myself as one of these honest people who does not hose people for the fun of it, but rather provides a service to the entire community of players.  Growing my plants is my way of serving the people of the game.  Needless to say, my services do have their expenditures.  Reagents for potions, plant bowls, tools, time, etc.

I may not be a script writer, but I do plan on learning be one in the near future.  As soon as I am able to set aside enough free time to seriously study this fine art, I'll be contributing back to this community.

Until then, keep it as real as possible.

Scrripty

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
My suggestion is to learn to script.  And by the time you get to the point where you can effortlessly write your own plant script that does it just the way you want, you'll completely understand my point of vew on this. :)  It's really not as hard as you think it is.  I agree with sharing with the community too, but it has to be responsibly.  There's people on this very site now that are upset because a script was released publicly and now their own prices on the very same materials they scripted are dropping like crazy.  If you release a good script that makes it easy for everyone to get the resource, you're just killing your own market...  Yes I'm talking about crabbing... :)   Well... yea.... :)  If I can get the same amount of resources as you, I can also beat your price by as much as I want too... heh

EDIT:  Removed references to elite posts in public forum
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:05:27 PM by _C2_ »

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
My suggestion is to learn to script.  And by the time you get to the point where you can effortlessly write your own plant script that does it just the way you want, you'll completely understand my point of vew on this. :)  It's really not as hard as you think it is.  I agree with sharing with the community too, but it has to be responsibly.  There's people on this very site now that are upset because a script was released publicly and now their own prices on the very same materials they scripted are dropping like crazy.  If you release a good script that makes it easy for everyone to get the resource, you're just killing your own market...  Yes I'm talking about crabbing... :)    Well... yea.... :)  If I can get the same amount of resources as you, I can also beat your price by as much as I want too... heh

umm... the thing is that the author who released it is not upset.  he is glad that people are enjoying UO despite sales starting to drop off  ;D.  that was a perk of selling off my testing crabs.  Crabbing was such a miserable activity that I wrote the script with the intent to help others.  I didn't even use it outside of testing the first four or so months.  There are some folks that were making a lot on it that are finally seeing sales cool off as the base of users grows.  Oh well - sorry guys and gals.

come to think about it... tending plants is miserable too!  I have kept certain scripts to myself in the past for gold making or just the fact that they did certain things that you couldnt have multiple people doing on the same shard or it would look ridiculous.  the money you make off seeds is insaneo and certainly worth keeping a script off the shelves especially if the purpose was to gather seeds for making gold.  i cannot hate on that for sure.  I am still keeping one of my fishing scripts private for that reason.  it will go public eventually but for now that was for me to make a little gold for the time sink and work out some final features.

if as many peeps used Twinkle McNugget's plant tender as the crabber... well seeds would be around 400k per 10 within a month and then even lower.  at that point, why even write the darn thing.  unless it was to support a scripting community for something that EA put out that was so ridiculous that you wanted everyone to script it.  The crabber was part grudge towards EA and part favor for a friend.  It irritated me to no end that EA would make that type of process to acquire crabs unless they were catoring to scripters.  My friend was enjoying it so much that I decided to share it.  If i kept it private, I could of made billions on it for sure.  so what, there are a million other ways to make gold.

Twinkle McNugget is right though.  It all depends on your motivation for each particular script.  For most scripters there is a blend of scripting for the community and scripting for themselves.  The themselves part is usually on the down low and not heard about but most have it.  If it is public, you cannot control how folks use it.  There will always be someone that farms just as much or more and will always price lower if the motivation is gold!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:01:06 PM by _C2_ »

Offline Kherkus

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
Well said C2.  And Twinkle McNugget, I'll let you know my progress when I start studying script writing.  Right now, things are quite chaotic because me and my wife are planning on moving back to our home state.  We're trying to do this without my old man knowing about it.  Unfortunately I still live with him due to circumstance.  He runs his own company and needs my help, in exchange, I get a roof over our heads.  Once were free, I'll start studying as hard as possible.

In the meantime, I'll just continue to contribute to my shard with what I have and wait patiently until something better comes along.

Scrripty

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
Someone wants to buy me high seas I'll script the hell out of boats/crabs. :)  Until then, aint happenin.

Tags: