Author Topic: Mining, Human or Elf?  (Read 30284 times)

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Mining, Human or Elf?
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »
+1
I thought I remember there being a difference between the two.  Does anyone know what it is?

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
Re: Mining, Human or Elf?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
+1
I didn't think there was a difference.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
+1
Elves supposed to find more gems.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »
+1
i heard it had to do with getting more colored ore then regular, but you mine the veins out faster.  but i'm not sure what is true and what isn't lol.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:25:33 AM »
+1
Elves are supposed to have a higher percent chance of pulling a special resource from a resource square (ie gems or colored resources). For lumberjacking this means that you get 10 logs per swing where a human gets 12. I don't know what specifically happens to yield on the ore, I don't think you get fewer hits in a resource square though although it's hard to tell with mining since the number of hits per square is random every time the square refreshes.

In the meantime a human can be out a little longer because it can carry more. I always use Elves but, to be honest, I've never done any valuable testing.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »
+1
For me it was always about the logging, so humans make more logs.  That's all I needed to hear.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:10:45 AM »
+1
You Said Log

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
+1
To my knowledge,

Elves get more of the rare resources, so if a human would be mining on a valorite spot, he would get 6 valorite and 20 iron, while the elf would get 10 valorite and 12 for example. Elves get lesser resources then humans overall, althou the difference isnt really big. Gems has nothing to do with elves or human. I always use humans just cos they can carry more and dont waste that much time recalling around.
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
+1
Knowledge of Nature - Elves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special boards when lumberjacking.

I know humans gets a 10% quantity bonus when they chop and in fel that means 22 boards per swing instead of 20 but does that mean they get more or less colored boards when compared to the elves "knowledge of nature" skill?

In my humble experience, I've found that I get much higher yields when it comes to the colored ores and lumber if I'm an elf.

For wood - definitely elves; they get more chops per tree than humans

For Ore, however, the only thing definitive I've seen is more gems. My personal tests showed no difference between ore amounts or the colored/iron ratio (as the yield for ore is so much smaller than for wood, it's probably that the additional occasional ore for being human amounts to about the same extra they'd get from digging as an elf). So, it's better to be human as a miner, for the extra capacity before being overweight.

have observed that a human when he finds colored wood would get something like 80 regular wood and 20 oak for a total of 100. Where as my elf would get around 40 regular wood and 60 oak for a total of 100. These numbers are not exact. I was just trying to point out that if you harvest the exact same number of logs with a human and an elf, the elf will find a greater number of colored woods than a human.

humans get 20% more wood overall, but the elves get more of what they chop colored. Same goes for mining.

So if you were a human and chopped a tree in the example, you would probably get 90 reg/30 oak, and the elf would get about 50/50.

So depends on what you want. If you want more colored ore, logs and gems, then an elf is better. If you want bulk iron and wood, then human. For donations with wood you definitely want elf due to the huge difference in colored wood donation points. Well worth the weight difference when your bringing in more colored wood.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Kenson

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kenson has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
+1
elf you have better chance getting color and you get alot more gems

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:12:56 PM »
+1
so.. what about fishing, would an elf get a better chance at pulling up a Pearl? or an ASOS popping out of a bottle than a human?

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
+1
Human characters will have a chance to get extra ore with each dig, while Elves have an increased chance of harvesting special ore types from colored veins (as opposed to finding colored veins).

Human characters will get one extra log per chop, or two if working in Felucca. Elves, on the other hand, have an increased chance of harvesting special Lumber types.

Hope that Helps out out :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:37:16 PM by Cerveza »

Offline omni

• Activity:
    0%
  • omni has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »
+1
im pretty sure elves find more colored ore etc, my miner is an elf  ;)

Offline Hardyz

• Activity:
    0%
  • Hardyz has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
+1
so.. what about fishing, would an elf get a better chance at pulling up a Pearl? or an ASOS popping out of a bottle than a human?

No.  I don't think elves have a better chance of finding gems.

The thing goes that elves have a 30% (it was 30% I believe if not 60% but i'm 99% sure its 30) chance of pulling up a rarer log and/or ore.  A human gets 1 extra log per chop in tram or 2 in fel.  A human can also hold more.  In my opinion an elf is way better.  Unless you are pulling up regular iron ingots and boards you should go with an elf.

Offline Khameleon

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »
+1
aye, your Human can carry more, But your Packy can still carry the same amount with your elf or human ;/
I went with elf for the special wood/ore.

Tags: