Author Topic: Computer Desk  (Read 7889 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Computer Desk
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
Don't make my dust off my Apple II+.  :p
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Artaxerxes

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Artaxerxes has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • UOAI
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
My trade and paid job is an embedded design engineer.  So I've done lots of fast digital and analog hardware design.  When I started my own contracting company, I accumulated all these goodies.  I have a pretty large array of oscopes; ranging from the 70s analog Teks (sorry, square screen here...) to my fast digital TDS-3012.

My respect for you has just grown! :) But still... i can use these GHz scopes for free (phd in an experimental physics lab)! :D
Developer at www.UOAI.be

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
You dont have too because my Vic 20 or TI -99 or even my COCO III would be older.  8)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
My respect for you has just grown! :) But still... i can use these GHz scopes for free (phd in an experimental physics lab)! :D

Heh, thanks!  I love going into my contracts because they always have the nice cool test equipment.  There's a couple new Tek scopes out there just just make me drool.  However pricing them also makes me wonder if I can actually use them to live in.

Congrats on the PhD, hope that means you'll be haunting the UOAI project more. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Artaxerxes

• Activity:
    0%
  • Artaxerxes has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • UOAI
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »
Heh, thanks!  I love going into my contracts because they always have the nice cool test equipment.  There's a couple new Tek scopes out there just just make me drool.  However pricing them also makes me wonder if I can actually use them to live in.

Yea, pricing seems terrible... but research projects here seem to count money in terms of millions of euros, so some 50k for a scope is never really a problem.  ;)
I'm always shocked how little of this money goes to the people actually doing the research! :)

Congrats on the PhD, hope that means you'll be haunting the UOAI project more.  

Well... it might mean just the opposite... but for the next couple of weeks i'm sure i'll be spending a lot of time on UOAI.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:00:58 PM by Artaxerxes »
Developer at www.UOAI.be

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
Well, the monitors have arrived, and in my anxiousness at getting everything up and running, I decided to rearrange some furniture and other stuff. I was able to get away without having to buy a desk, nor build one (though I did go to Home Depot and price out some Melamine boards...would have cost me about $75 for all the materials, and lots of time!) The only things lacking in this current setup are that my monitors are not quite as high as I'd like them to be (my center monitor cannot adjust height wise, so I'd have to build a shelf-type base for it, the ones on either side can go up about 6" or so. I've embedded some pics so you can all see. If I have time (probably the next chunk of time I have will be fall break or Christmas LOL) I may build a custom desk, but for now, this will have to do!

ENJOY!!

You can check out all the pics of my system at: http://sites.google.com/site/ultimaonlinesite/new-computer

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
IMG_2089.JPG
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
I had a 8' long Slide Rule I found under the stage at my old school. I asked the principal if I could have it one morning after a staff meeting and he was happy to get rid of it. It was used as an example by having it hang up on the wall at the front of the classroom while they practiced with their own at a desk.
Unfortunately it burned up along with everything else in my mom's house. :(
Along with my TRS-80
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »
Ah my old TRS-80.  I have no idea what happened to it? But i remember programming it in machine language.  Boy the good ol days.  Anyone remember the coleco vision, Intelivision, CoCo, TRS-80, Apple II,II+,IIc,IIe, and the best of all IIgs, Vic20, commodore 64, 128, Amiga 500 or 2000?

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
I remember the good old Commodore64 that my grandfather owned. We used to have an Apple II as well.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I remember the good old Commodore64 that my grandfather owned. We used to have an Apple II as well.

Ok that comment made me feel even older !! ???

Offline Traegon

• Activity:
    0%
  • Traegon has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
Quote from: UOMaddog on Today at 10:46:28 AM

Ok that comment made me feel even older !!   

WHY am I getting a craving to program in LOGO.  Help!! 

I was feeling at the bottom of the heap when I looked over at my shelf and saw my C64 w/tape drive, 1541, and 300 baud modem, chewed up joysticks from my Atari 2600 attached until I saw the VIC-20 and Apple ][ comments.  I was relieved, almost.  PRESS PLAY ON TAPE holds a special place in my heart.

*sigh*  I'm suddenly missing playing Zork, the ORIGINAL Ultima series', and Archon (not to mention Elite, and a few other favs).

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Speaking of *press play on tape*

You think that joystick looks a little chewed up  ;D

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
front_c64.jpg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:35:01 PM by Masscre »

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
woot!

The girls were nice...but them old computers were SWEET!!! 

Arrr!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Tags: