Author Topic: Son's first Olympic Scoring TKD Tourny  (Read 4984 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Son's first Olympic Scoring TKD Tourny
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »
As many know, my son is a Red Belt in Tae Kwon Do. He's exceptionally gifted and absolutely loves the sport.

His school does traditional TKD and little sparring. The sparring they do is "point sparring" which the referee stops the competition and the judges declare if they saw the point or not.

That is different then "Olympic" style sparring which is continuous.

Todays rules were 7 point difference (once you get seven ahead you win), 12 point ceiling, Two 2 minute rounds, Tie breaker is first point wins. This is the first time he's ever done this type of sparring. He's been training really hard for this.

He did forms first. Six in his group, he won the first, won the second, and won the third to take first place in forms.

Then in sparring, his first opponent was their coaches son. He wound up in a 9-9 tie at the end of the second period and they went to a next point wins tiebreaker. My son got in the shot and won against this boy who has never been eliminated from medals in a tournament before.

Second match was a little easier. This boy got a bye in the first round. My son beat him 11-4 (seven point spread).

The last match for the gold was a tough battle. At the end of the first round the score was 9-8 with my son behind by one. The other boy only needed three points to win (12 points wins). My son came out strong and fast and quickly scored. He wound getting 4 quick points and won 12-9!

He worked very hard for this, and he got a long ways to go. But if he stays dedicated, and works hard, there's no telling how much he can accomplish.

* The best thing I heard was that one of the referees and a judge who watched his match told his coach that he takes direction from the coach very well. His coach would call a combination like "Push, 1, 1, 3" and then "NOW!" and my son would immediately do that combo.

I'll trim up some video and get it out.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Son's first Olympic Scoring TKD Tourny
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
Well, congratulations to your son and to you!  I still fear him, though.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:26 PM »
That's awesome Cerveza, glad to be able to read about this, I love sports news. I'm sure the bout with coaches son was tough, probably becoming good friends? Hope he keeps it up, keeps you busy taking him to matches and competitions.

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Congrats Cerveza! How old is your son? I have a 5 year that I'm about to put into MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, or Judo. I'm just looking for the right dojo.

/gC

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
Tournament Video

Red in first and second matches...
Blue in the last.

Talent Show
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
I wouldnt wanna be in his school and try to bully him  ;D
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline gateCrasher

• Activity:
    0%
  • gateCrasher has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 07:48:09 AM »
Impressive!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
Right after I win the lottery, I'm going to hire your son to become a part of my elite brute squad.  I'll need protection since I'm a creampuff.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »
I have a friend who is going the Tae Kwon Do route after going to Black in Brazilian Ju Jitsu (basically what the army teaches) and they made him go all the way back to white for TKD.  But by the way he is advancing he should be black within a year.  He kicks my ass in Ju Jitsu all the time.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Tags: